My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

I LOVE FREE ARTS!
hard_work_by_stalkerpony-d5nbt6g.png

by http://stalkerpony.deviantart.com/

Does anyone else here have to take breaks during the episodes? To keep from exploding or being overwhelmed by feels and such?

I had to take a lot of breaks today.

Does anyone else here have to take breaks during the episodes? To keep from exploding or being overwhelmed by feels and such?

Not really. As of late I have been waiting for the episode to end as they aren't really turning out as good as I hoped they would.

I do that, but mostly for laugh/"did I just see that?"/"saving that screencap" breaks.

And speaking of screencaps, I just had to have this one:
rainbowstare.png

AJ: "You starin' at mah flank? Quit starin' at mah flank!"
RD : *staaaaare~*
AB: "..."

I actually really liked this episode. For season 3 (and most of season 2), I didn't really warm up to an episode until at least the 2nd viewing.

But I warmed up to this one from the get-go.

While you can easily argue that there was heaps of fan service in "Sleepless in Ponyville" (Scoots-RD shipping, Luna, Harry the Bear, etc.), I feel that in its essence, it was a nice return to the core, lesson-focused parables that many fans loved about Season 1. They took a common childhood-adolescent concern (fear of not being accepted/being rejected) and built an episode from that.

For me, it was a nice break from all the outlandish plots (like the magical pond of duplication in "Too Many Pinkie Pies") where it seemed like the fan service came first, and the lesson was tacked on later.

I actually really liked this episode. For season 3 (and most of season 2), I didn't really warm up to an episode until at least the 2nd viewing.

But I warmed up to this one from the get-go.

While you can easily argue that there was heaps of fan service in "Sleepless in Ponyville" (Scoots-RD shipping, Luna, Harry the Bear, etc.), I feel that in its essence, it was a nice return to the core, lesson-focused parables that many fans loved about Season 1. They took a common childhood concern (fear of not being accepted) and built an episode from that.

For me, it was a nice break from all the outlandish plots (like the magical pond of duplication in "Too Many Pinkie Pies") where it seemed like the fan service came first, and the lesson was tacked on later.
I agree completely but the fan service partially ruined it for me for this episode..

I agree completely but the fan service partially ruined it for me for this episode..

The way I see it, all the "fan service" would have seem normative if it had taken place in Season 1 (before the term "brony" came into existence). And plenty of things in Season 1 would have been considered fan service if it were brought into the later seasons (like Rarity and AJ having a sleepover at Twilight's). But it's not, because it pre-dates bronydom.

I don't think the main problem is that the writers and storyboard artists are peppering the storylines too much with fan service but rather that our enjoyment of these scenes is spoiled by our anticipation for fan service.

Secretly, we want to see fan service. It's a nice shout-out to the fanbase from the creators, and we all want to know that our voices are heard.

But sometimes Fluttershy in a tree is just Fluttershy in a tree. Not Fluttertree.
Maybe a shot of Twilight from behind is meant to give the scene a sense of dynamism, rather than solicit #datplot responses.

Maybe we would enjoy the show more if we break down the episode to its core values and take things at face value, rather than connect them to things in the fandom. At least that's what I do.

Maybe ignorance (of fandom) is blissful, and the knowledge of pony fads spoils interesting, heart-warming/character-dev events (like RD accepting Scoots) when they happen.

Be honest. If this episode were made before the fandom was saturated with RD-Scoot fanfics, wouldn't it be good?

Soooo.... Chiba, Pixiel, FaerieInCombatBoots, and I went to a few stores tonight and had a bit of fun. Only took a couple pictures though.

2012-12-08 21.56.26.png

2012-12-08 21.02.16.png

(only one available in the entire store and found by luck. $20, just a tad expensive for my wallet. )

Back