• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Builder Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnackyNorph

Ohai guise. Snacky here.
After herpin' and a derpin' my way to a demotion, I sat down and thought a lot about the ranking system here on the Team9000 Classic server.
It seems to me that with 516 builders currently on the server, the rank has too much responsibility for the ease and short amount of time it takes to get there. Far too many of the builders, myself certainly included, spent their days trolling in chat or trolling guests while hidden.
Quite honestly, I'm disgusted with my actions and disgusted with my fellow builders.
Therefore, I'd simply like to begin an open discussion about what a Builder should and shouldn't do/be able to do. Since this thread is about my disgust with mine and my fellow builders' trolling, I really hope no one trolls this thread.
:yarly:

Thanks for your time and your (hopefully) honest opinions,
Alex

I guess... Your arguement has valid points... And invalid points.
Sure, it is easy to get to Builder. But we don't have terribly much responsibility.

@Snackynorph

First, let me say I agree completely with you. 99% of the currently active builders (myself included) have been disrespectful, power abusing, trolling, immature, a horrible example to guests, or some mixture of the above.

Second; the problem is not the ease of attaining builder, or what /commands we have. The issue lies in what us builders believe our duties are. After reading many other posts on this topic, I have come to the conclusion that we are trying too hard to do too much. Several Eng+s have said "Your job is to build. You are builders, after all." That is our PRIMARY objective. We are to build - be it with cools, guests, by ourselves, or as a rank project. We create the structures in Cool, Museum, and Zone that others come to T9K for.

Though our main task is building, we have many SECONDARY jobs to do. The most commonly done one is /pat-ing. In our spare time or boredom we wander around Guest looking for griefers. We are the eyes that tell the awesome+ hands where to smash the ban hammer. Our other task - which should be exclusively builder due to our /tp and abundance of time - is to provide lava and water to guests. A cool should not have to do this as they have no /tp. We do and it is a waste of theirs and the guest's time for them to "meet at spawn" and walk to whatever secluded corner of the map the guest chose to build on. These jobs are the ones that the admins seem to have forgotten, for who else would do them but the builders? The engineers are kicking, the admins banning, and the cools lack /tp.

BTW I logged on ten minutes prior to your demotion, and felt sick watching the ranks fight. I tried to create a guest's perception of the whole fiasco, and from our bickering they must have decided that the light blue, dark blue, green, and red names were ten-year-olds arguing over who got to be admin. This made me feel pathetic and want to quit right then. Fortunately for my shattered faith in T9K, it died down and I have spent all of today sitting on a mower thinking this over. Any comments about this would be appreciated.

I've seen many threads like this, and basically all of them have been saying we need to hold ourselves to higher standards. I completly agree with every single one, this one in particular, because I will admit I'm a pretty bad troll. I'm just amazed many more people, myself included, haven't ended up with a demotion like Snacky did. I feel like many of the active builders are just spending their time trolling the server and not doing anything productive or helpful. I try to help out as much in the server as I can, I'm just not sure about the others. I just feel so bad seeing the guests who need something as simple as water or lava, then getting banned for spamming. Whenever a guest needs some help, as a builder, or even cool, by god help them out because all they want is a little help with something. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you get promoted to builder, don't act like a 7 year old, help others out whenever possible, and don't do stupid crap.

I've seen many threads like this, and basically all of them have been saying we need to hold ourselves to higher standards. I completly agree with every single one, this one in particular, because I will admit I'm a pretty bad troll. I'm just amazed many more people, myself included, haven't ended up with a demotion like Snacky did. I feel like many of the active builders are just spending their time trolling the server and not doing anything productive or helpful. I try to help out as much in the server as I can, I'm just not sure about the others. I just feel so bad seeing the guests who need something as simple as water or lava, then getting banned for spamming. Whenever a guest needs some help, as a builder, or even cool, by god help them out because all they want is a little help with something. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you get promoted to builder, don't act like a 7 year old, help others out whenever possible, and don't do stupid crap.

many of us help... its just mainly those people who just want to play spleef ALL the time... so yeah i agree with you :3

Ohai guise. Snacky here.
After herpin' and a derpin' my way to a demotion, I sat down and thought a lot about the ranking system here on the Team9000 Classic server.
It seems to me that with 516 builders currently on the server, the rank has too much responsibility for the ease and short amount of time it takes to get there. Far too many of the builders, myself certainly included, spent their days trolling in chat or trolling guests while hidden.
Quite honestly, I'm disgusted with my actions and disgusted with my fellow builders.
Therefore, I'd simply like to begin an open discussion about what a Builder should and shouldn't do/be able to do. Since this thread is about my disgust with mine and my fellow builders' trolling, I really hope no one trolls this thread.
:yarly:

Thanks for your time and your (hopefully) honest opinions,
Alex
I don't feel that builders have high expectations on them, they could live their lives as if they were a guest, and not really do much at all, and no one would really know the difference. That is what separates builders from engineers, if an engi was to stop helping people hey would most likely get demoted. If a person takes it upon themselves to help others with their builders skills, then that is good . The problem seems to happen when people use their powers to be, pardon my french, douchebags.
I feel that if guests can be kicked for trolling, then builders should be held to the same standards.

I don't feel that builders have high expectations on them, they could live their lives as if they were a guest, and not really do much at all, and no one would really know the difference. That is what separates builders from engineers, if an engi was to stop helping people hey would most likely get demoted. If a person takes it upon themselves to help others with their builders skills, then that is good . The problem seems to happen when people use their powers to be, pardon my french, douchebags.
I feel that if guests can be kicked for trolling, then builders should be held to the same standards.

that is exactly how most engi+ are. they will kick for trolling no matter what rank :)
i believe builders are mainly to set an example. we show the guests what T9k are, there are builders who are immature be that cause of age or not. but all in all i reckon we builders, are here to set an example. :)

Look, the way I see it is that we Builders start off with good intentions, you know: "Oh, I can tp and hide and patrol, I'm going to help the community!" But recently I have become lassiez-faire about the whole thing. It's really monotonous. I think we've all experienced this - the old builders, or whatever. I'm not that old - perhaps I'm just stale? But I think we all get to a point where we get bored and just resort to trolling.
Look, I love building. It's great. But lately I've been playing Beta, because of the LACK of ranks. I feel more equal. And there's no feeling of boredom, because you are always doing something. If you take the time to stand there and troll, you get creeper bombed.

I wish there was something that could make my job more exciting, is all. Whether that being (surprise, surprise) Engineer, so that if I see grief I can actually do something about it than being a glorified klaxon, or getting some Builder worlds so I can build, I'm happy.

Heck, I'm probably never going to get Engineer, so I'm just looking forward to something new. Zone11 has finally got somewhere, and I plan to be a big part of that. Until then, I'll be on Beta, and get on Classic to punctuate boredom.

Heh, it seems that everyone in this little thread is pretty responsible and trustworthy to me. :)

Also, you gotta admit, catching those griefers red-handed, finding griefs, and teleporting is pretty fun.

What you really have to understand is that while, yes it may be fun to /tp and help. Be it catching griefers or making water/lava for people, over time it gets boring. As a builder (even if I am not one) things get old and stale quick. Its like that new toy you got for x-mas as a child; play with it for a couple of weeks, and then it gets locked away to eventually be trashed. Maybe the ranking system should be revised not on how much you build or what you build, but on how trustworthy/helpful you are. as cool ranked people do not have much responsibility why not have that rank the build good rank. Then as they spend time, learn the rules, start to help others, and even go out of their way to support the t9k community. Then they can apply to be a builder. This could reduce the amount of builder players making it a more special rank, though it may not be as awesome as Engi and awesome+ ranks. It lets people know " Hey this is a person you can trust, even if they put you in a box while you are afk."

But hey what do I know, im just a nooblet. :I

All of you stop complaining about wanting more commands.. Just work your butt off and get the next rank
:doy:

Edit: or do like the older builders (that have been around longer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back