Storm Trooper Accuracy

Stratadon

I want to get to the bottom of the long debated question of storm trooper accuracy from star wars.

I want to go back through every single star wars movie in slow motion, count the number of shots fired from every single storm trooper in all movies, and then divide the number of those that hit by the total number of shots fired to get a precise statistic of how accurate storm troopers are, and the minimum number of pews it would take given a 5% margin of error to hit someone.

Who's down?

are there specifics you will also be measuring, like friendly-fire?

I have taken that into consideration, but have decided after much thought that the storm troopers need all the help they can get at this point. If they can manage to hit any meaningful fucking thing, I will count it.

I wonder how many laser shots are in the prequels.

This is something I will be down for after finals, which is soon.

It's pretty obvious the Storm Troopers are absolute killing machines. The fact that we believe them to be mediocre only adds to their deadliness. Isn't there a saying? The deadliest killers are the ones you aren't threatened by? (I made that up)

In A New Hope, note that during the opening scene, the Tantive IV was easily captured without much resistance, showcasing the accuracy and efficiency of these imperial soldiers. It is only once our dear protagonists raided the Death Star that not a single shot ever found it's mark on Luke Skywalker and his merry gang. However, consider the strategical advantages of letting the rebels escape (which I believe was Darth Vader's plan). They led them to the rebel base, on Yavin IV. Had the subsequent assault on this moon been successful, it would have meant the destruction of the rebel forces for certain. Is it a pure stroke of luck that Luke and his gang (save for Obi-wan) were able to flee from the most powerful superweapon in the galaxy unscathed? I think not.
It's pretty obvious why they missed all their shots. They let them escape.

During the Battle of Hoth, didn't the Stormtroopers easily wipe out the rebels? Note that this battle took place on the Rebel's homecourt, they had all their defenses prepared and knew the terrain. Yet they were wiped out and forced to retreat, and when rebel ships took to the stars in order to escape, a great many of them were annihilated by the blockade placed around the planet.

I rest my case.

Don't fucking ask me about Endor. I have no goddamn explanation for that.

Clone Troopers =/= Stormtroopers
A significant portion of the stormtroopers are clones, but many others are recruits. There was a large stormtrooper training academy on Carida, until it was blown up.

It's pretty obvious the Storm Troopers are absolute killing machines. The fact that we believe them to be mediocre only adds to their deadliness. Isn't there a saying? The deadliest killers are the ones you aren't threatened by? (I made that up)

In A New Hope, note that during the opening scene, the Tantive IV was easily captured without much resistance, showcasing the accuracy and efficiency of these imperial soldiers. It is only once our dear protagonists raided the Death Star that not a single shot ever found it's mark on Luke Skywalker and his merry gang. However, consider the strategical advantages of letting the rebels escape (which I believe was Darth Vader's plan). They led them to the rebel base, on Yavin IV. Had the subsequent assault on this moon been successful, it would have meant the destruction of the rebel forces for certain. Is it a pure stroke of luck that Luke and his gang (save for Obi-wan) were able to flee from the most powerful superweapon in the galaxy unscathed? I think not.
It's pretty obvious why they missed all their shots. They let them escape.

During the Battle of Hoth, didn't the Stormtroopers easily wipe out the rebels? Note that this battle took place on the Rebel's homecourt, they had all their defenses prepared and knew the terrain. Yet they were wiped out and forced to retreat, and when rebel ships took to the stars in order to escape, a great many of them were annihilated by the blockade placed around the planet.

I rest my case.

Don't fucking ask me about Endor. I have no goddamn explanation for that.
http://www.reddit.com/r/scifi/comments/gwtio/regarding_the_accuracy_of_stormtroopers/

Another theory entails that Stormtroopers aren't incompetent. They're well-trained and effective warriors.

But like all humans, they have empathy, and find it hard to kill enemies in cold blood.

You'll notice that they're deadly against armoured Rebel troops.
The Stormtroopers took over Hoth - the Rebel's home turf - pretty easily.

But it's harder to shoot a civvie, even if that civvy is a Jedi and his zany crew of aliens and sisters and Harrison Ford and shit.

So wait? If Stormtroopers are armed with paintball guns instead of rifles they'd be capable of hitting the protagonists easily?

I find it more plausible that the force has an "illusionary mechanic" that conceals the real location of the target and produces a false one and that Stormtroopers are trained to overcome this tactic by simply "spraying and praying" by shooting in a general direction.

Well, that's my theory at least.

I have taken that into consideration, but have decided after much thought that the storm troopers need all the help they can get at this point. If they can manage to hit any meaningful fucking thing, I will count it.
What about the offscreen Jawa kills in A New Hope? I guess you could count the bodies that Obi Wan burns.

Back