3 Reasons Why People Love Football

While I appreciate the element of strategy behind American"Football" all I see are large sweaty men grabbing each other while running up and down the field with a ball.

As far as I can tell the only difference between our NRL (Australia) or Rugby Union is that throwing the ball forward isn't a foul so I see no reason to call it "football" and not some form of Rugby such as American Rugby League, while being a horrible example, you get my point.

I enjoy American football, but I've recently become annoyed with the fact that the ball is in play for such a short amount of time when compared to actual game-time. Most plays last for only a few seconds, and more time is spent between downs waiting for the snap. I'm beginning to enjoy soccer (football) more because the ball is hardly ever out of play. Watching a game that is constantly in motion is far more entertaining for me than having to wait almost 45 seconds between plays to watch 4-5 seconds of action, followed by 1+ minutes of commercials. I've been trying to become more a fan of several sports, rather than just one or two (except basketball. What an atrocity).

I will PM so we can talk like gentlemen here.

7471e0bf_Like-a-Sir-300x220.jpeg

Moving on...

My secondary, more trivial but relevant, point that a lot of people in fact do not love American Football, also stands valid. Should you wish to continue that as a discussion in this thread, I'll be more than happy to explain the finer points of why I dislike American Football; otherwise, I'll happily leave this thread after I conclude my rebuttal.

So why do you dislike American Football?

So why do you dislike American Football?
In the interest of conciseness, I'll refer to it as Football for the time being. I'm also only referring to the professional level of the game.

1. Short play times, long commercial breaks/downtime between plays. I'm watching the sport to watch the sport, not to watch coaches talking (especially when I can't hear them) or look at what new product Orange Julius is releasing this month.
2. Too much padding. Sure, it looks like a hard hit, but let's be honest, the worst injuries from football are side-blows to the head (rotational concussions). Everything else you can usually recover from, because humans can only run so fast, and tackle so hard. The irony lies in the fact that the head is the least protected part of the body in football - especially from rotational concussions. It could be argued that hockey players (and I am a fan of hockey) wear just as much or more padding, which is true - but hockey players are on ice (not grass and dirt), being smashed up against boards and plexiglass (not grass and dirt and people), and are avoiding being injured by a frozen rubber puck travelling in excess of 161 km/h / 100 mph (average NHL slapshot speed). Jus' sayin'.
3. There seems to be an overly excessive focus on the "stars," for example the quarterback or the runningback is often given much more camera time and appreciation of the fans than the linemen. Going back to hockey, yes, the forwards are often given more screen time, particularly if they score many goals; but when the puck is in the team's zone, defensive players get their chance to shine - and the goalies are always able to show off. In football, a good pass, catch, or many yards gained is easy to sell to the fans; a good scrimmage...not so much. In hockey, a good save or the decision to play the puck versus freezing it (goalie), a good block or forward pass (defense), or a nice snapshot or fluid reach-around goal (forward) are all excellent when a cameraman catches them. There is literally no position in hockey that can't get its camera time.

There are more, relatively finicky reasons, but from my standpoint they won't contribute to this discussion in any way. Note that I'm not here to debate, these are just my reasons for disliking the professional game.

In the interest of conciseness, I'll refer to it as Football for the time being. I'm also only referring to the professional level of the game.

1. Short play times, long commercial breaks/downtime between plays. I'm watching the sport to watch the sport, not to watch coaches talking (especially when I can't hear them) or look at what new product Orange Julius is releasing this month.
2. Too much padding. Sure, it looks like a hard hit, but let's be honest, the worst injuries from football are side-blows to the head (rotational concussions). Everything else you can usually recover from, because humans can only run so fast, and tackle so hard. The irony lies in the fact that the head is the least protected part of the body in football - especially from rotational concussions. It could be argued that hockey players (and I am a fan of hockey) wear just as much or more padding, which is true - but hockey players are on ice (not grass and dirt), being smashed up against boards and plexiglass (not grass and dirt and people), and are avoiding being injured by a frozen rubber puck travelling in excess of 161 km/h / 100 mph (average NHL slapshot speed). Jus' sayin'.
3. There seems to be an overly excessive focus on the "stars," for example the quarterback or the runningback is often given much more camera time and appreciation of the fans than the linemen. Going back to hockey, yes, the forwards are often given more screen time, particularly if they score many goals; but when the puck is in the team's zone, defensive players get their chance to shine - and the goalies are always able to show off. In football, a good pass, catch, or many yards gained is easy to sell to the fans; a good scrimmage...not so much. In hockey, a good save or the decision to play the puck versus freezing it (goalie), a good block or forward pass (defense), or a nice snapshot or fluid reach-around goal (forward) are all excellent when a cameraman catches them. There is literally no position in hockey that can't get its camera time.

There are more, relatively finicky reasons, but from my standpoint they won't contribute to this discussion in any way. Note that I'm not here to debate, these are just my reasons for disliking the professional game.
1. The main point of football is the strategy of the game and the "gambling" involved. Oozinator said some really good things on that topic. You should check out his post.
2. Better to be safe then sorry is all I have to say.
3. It's true; some players do get more screen time because some things are just more exciting to watch than others. I don't disagree on anything there.

Honestly, what is there to argue about? You love it, or you hate it. The only controversial issue is the name. But, who cares? That's why it's called American Football, to help with that. It's a sport that requires more mental capabilities than physical. You may say Rugby is tougher, and I agree. But who cares? This thread is for discussing what there is to love about football, not bash it.
3 reasons I love football?
1. The mental challenge.
Many people will disagree with me on this one. However, you have to remember multiple routes at every position. I've played nearly every one, and it's hard. Middle Linebacker? Gotta read the running backs and quarter back, knowing where they're running before they do. Having to look over giant linemen. Linemen? You gotta be able to pump with your legs constantly for up to 20 seconds. Imagine doing knee high jumps. Over 12 times a second. That's what they have to do. Corner? HA. Have to cover one of the fastest people on the field, and be able to turn on a instant notice. Quarter back? Know every single play in the book. There's A LOT. Running back? Find where to run, every play, where to block, every play. Wide? Gotta know the routes, if it's a run back, how far to cut. It's 80% mental, 20% physical.
2. The physical challenge.
You must be constantly pushing yourself as hard as you can. You have to perform at you're very best every time or else the opposing team will grind you down to a pulp. Everyday, you have to work out, to fine tune your body to what you play to perform the best.
3. The fun.
How freaking fun is it to run as fast as you can at someone, and level them on the ground, feeling no pain. Awesome, eh? You have another family. People you can have your jokes you never could tell your parent's. You gain a sense of pride and respect, being in there. You gain popularity, with girls at your every turn. Who hates that?

Did I mention the ladies?

Honestly, what is there to argue about? You love it, or you hate it. The only controversial issue is the name. But, who cares? That's why it's called American Football, to help with that. It's a sport that requires more mental capabilities than physical. You may say Rugby is tougher, and I agree. But who cares? This thread is for discussing what there is to love about football, not bash it.
3 reasons I love football?
1. The mental challenge.
Many people will disagree with me on this one. However, you have to remember multiple routes at every position. I've played nearly every one, and it's hard. Middle Linebacker? Gotta read the running backs and quarter back, knowing where they're running before they do. Having to look over giant linemen. Linemen? You gotta be able to pump with your legs constantly for up to 20 seconds. Imagine doing knee high jumps. Over 12 times a second. That's what they have to do. Corner? HA. Have to cover one of the fastest people on the field, and be able to turn on a instant notice. Quarter back? Know every single play in the book. There's A LOT. Running back? Find where to run, every play, where to block, every play. Wide? Gotta know the routes, if it's a run back, how far to cut. It's 80% mental, 20% physical.
2. The physical challenge.
You must be constantly pushing yourself as hard as you can. You have to perform at you're very best every time or else the opposing team will grind you down to a pulp. Everyday, you have to work out, to fine tune your body to what you play to perform the best.
3. The fun.
How freaking fun is it to run as fast as you can at someone, and level them on the ground, feeling no pain. Awesome, eh? You have another family. People you can have your jokes you never could tell your parent's. You gain a sense of pride and respect, being in there. You gain popularity, with girls at your every turn. Who hates that?

Did I mention the ladies?
Lol, cheerleaders might actually have somethin to do with it... You might have a point there... :p

1. The main point of football is the strategy of the game and the "gambling" involved. Oozinator said some really good things on that topic. You should check out his post.
2. Better to be safe then sorry is all I have to say.
3. It's true; some players do get more screen time because some things are just more exciting to watch than others. I don't disagree on anything there.
I did read his post, I just disagree that there is entertainment value in watching other people strategize. I'd also prefer to see people who make gobs of money take a little risk every so often. As for the last one, I just don't like always looking at the same positions - how can anyone see the rest of the strategy involved if that's the case? Football just isn't a spectator sport I can get into.

1. To each his own.
2. Well, you always got to look at the risk-vs-reward system. Sure, they make millions of dollars. But if they do a radical play that gets their leg broken badly, they're out for the season. And if any injury they get is bad enough, they're out of the NFL once their contract is over.
3. Again, to each his own. Personally, I prefer the intense, fast-paced action of football where a game can be made or broken in a matter of seconds.

2. Well, you always got to look at the risk-vs-reward system. Sure, they make millions of dollars. But if they do a radical play that gets their leg broken badly, they're out for the season. And if any injury they get is bad enough, they're out of the NFL once their contract is over.
The biggest problem I see with this is that a sports-career-ending injury isn't one that prevents them from entering other lines of work. Sure, they spend as much as they make, so when they get an injury that prevents them from re-entering the sport, they essentially become broke. Now, smart players (and there are quite a few) would take that huge sum of money, and save it or invest it, thus hedging their bets. And of course, there are many players who also carry secondary careers just in case of an injury/retirement, or have the education needed to enter a new career once they retire or are seriously injured. More risk of non-life-threatening injury (ie. dislocated shoulder, etc) would, in my opinion, make the game require a higher level of actual talent. Rather than just throwing their weight around, players would have to train to use their weight most effectively while avoiding injury. No longer can a lineman just charge at his opponent with brute force, no, now he has to figure out where his opponent is going to be when they collide, and adjust his stance in response to that. Tackling a runner is no longer about just launching yourself at his waist, now you have to perform on-the-fly predictions of his movements so that you can take him out with your full body instead of just a shoulder and arm.

Just my stance on the matter. Of course, I'm all for reducing head injuries. Those suck and effectively destroy the chances of another career. Better helmet designs exist, but the IFAF and helmet manufacturers are slow to respond or outright ignoring them.

Back