Corrupted video files on SD card (Recovery?)

Shredex

Just got back from a big event in West Virginia. My buddy got a new Gopro Hero 4 and caught some awesome footage.
We were looking at them on my laptop(Windows8.1) via a Micro SD to SD adapter. Started copying one video over to my computer and he opened up the video(with VLC by default) while it was copying and then suddenly everything borked.
All the files on the card changed to some gibberish. Everything appeared to be lost.
(See Attached)
corrupt.png

I managed to recover the still pictures that were taken on it using PhotoRec, but the videos that it "recovered" don't seem to work and give me an error when trying to open up with VLC. It seems to have recovered tiny thumbnail sized still images from the videos, but the mp4 files do not work.
corrupt2.png

Any suggestions? I've never tried data recovery before and just found PhotoRec via google and tried it. It kinda worked lol

Halp!

Just got back from a big event in West Virginia. My buddy got a new Gopro Hero 4 and caught some awesome footage.
We were looking at them on my laptop(Windows8.1) via a Micro SD to SD adapter. Started copying one video over to my computer and he opened up the video(with VLC by default) while it was copying and then suddenly everything borked.
All the files on the card changed to some gibberish. Everything appeared to be lost.
(See Attached)
View attachment 144100

I managed to recover the still pictures that were taken on it using PhotoRec, but the videos that it "recovered" don't seem to work and give me an error when trying to open up with VLC. It seems to have recovered tiny thumbnail sized still images from the videos, but the mp4 files do not work.
View attachment 144101

Any suggestions? I've never tried data recovery before and just found PhotoRec via google and tried it. It kinda worked lol

Halp!
Are they no longer on the original Micro SD card?

Are they no longer on the original Micro SD card?
The files on the original Micro SD card are the ones that are corrupt. That's what the first image is of.
I've tried two different data recovery software now and both of them recover the mp4 video, but they don't recover them properly as VLC gives me an error(VLC can't recognize the input's format) when trying to play them.

The pictures recovered fine, but the video is the important part and that's what I'm having trouble with.

Try converting it into a different file (wmv and avi are common video files) ... I had this problem on some of my files when editing some of my videos and it wouldn't play and converting always seemed to work for me. Use an online mp4 to avi (or mp4 to wmv and etc.) and it does the conversion for you.

Back