Google Fiber Network

moondoggy23

Google has ended it's pre-registration for it's Gigabit Fiber Internet Network in Kansas City not too long ago. An article on IGN.com discusses the plans being offered by Google for this service which are:

-Slower Internet connection for seven years with a $300 construction fee for free (meaning no monthly fees or anything like that after the $300)
-A 2 year contract for Gigabit Internet
-A TV service bundle offered by Google

Those last two packages being offered will have monthly service fees "competitvely priced with rival plans," and will also waive the $300 construction fee. Basically meaning you either get slower Internet (5Mbps download, 1Mbps upload, no data caps) for a one-time, flat fee of $300 (or $25/month for 12 months) for seven years, or you can get blazing fast service (1000Mb/s), pay a monthly subscription for a 2 year contract and not have to pay the $300. On top of all this, all schools, libraries, hospitals, and other public-funded buildings in "fully funded fiber-hoods" get free Gigabit Internet. Either way you slice it, signing up for Google's service in Kansas City seems like the smart move. As far as your wallet is concerned, what is listed above is what you pay.

Another thing the article linked above mentions is what Kansas City did to get Google to pick them as the starting point for this revolutionary service. There are a number on concessions made, which are guaranteed to Google and Google alone:

-Free power
-Free office space for Google employees (article does not specify whether it's just employees invovled in the Internet service, or ALL Google employees)
-Free marketing
-Expedited permits, et. al. with fees waived
-Free right-of-way easements (the ability to build anywhere without compensating for congestion or noise)
-The right to approve or reject statements made about Google Fiber by the city.

The point of all this that the article makes is that Kansas City has set quite a precedent to get Google's business for super-high-speed Internet, which it has not made for any other ISP, nor has any other city or state anywhere else made such concessions for any other ISP. Without coming out and saying it, the article is making a connection between Google and the government of Kansas City as colluding to grant preference to one business over others, which in lay terms would be corruption.

Granted, what Google is offering is something no other ISP can or will offer right now, and it is only a test market and not a launch of a service across the entire country, which would require permits, access, fees and contracts with multiple governments, including the federal government, for such an endeavor. The question remins however, what happens if this is a major success and Google wants to expand it's service? Will it expect other cities to offer similar guarantees, or will it venture forward and play by the same rules as other ISPs that currently exist?

1, I wish I lived in KC now because that sounds amazing.

2, I do not think that if they were to expand into other markets that it would be allowed as there is just far too much involved and having an entire city move to Google gigabit fiber network would put a lot of ISP's out of business in an area. Google stands to make a shit ton of money from this and the demand will surely be high if they market it well from this test. If Google successfully expands however I guarantee that there will be another large lawsuit, like we saw with Microsoft years ago, against Google for forming a monopoly.

I really do look forward to seeing what comes from this.

This reminds me of Woot's mock video on the potential dangers of Google's user prediction program thingy. The connection I made here was in Google's ever expanding empire of innovation, and their progress towards apparent internet domination. Not that this is a bad thing, but if other companies aren't keeping up with Google, then we may have a Rockefeller scenario where Google ends up monopolizing a huge part of fiber networking. As a result, they can make the standards and, at worst-case, can stifle competition. So far, Google is playing fair and is seemingly giving the advantage to the consumer.

Gigabit internet is amazingly fast, but for Google to juxtapose that offer with an slow-speed internet rather than 20 Mbps internet offered by companies like Time Warner definitely seems like a marketing ploy. Then again, maybe Google doesn't have the hardware to support HS internet in Kansas City (lol?).

Whether or not Kansas City "sold its soul" for fiber networking is a minor side issue; this is a local problem that shouldn't concern the grand scale of things. Having given preferential treatment solely to Google, the city's only hope is that Google's fiber-network will pay off in the end, which is a likely end.

As far as expansion goes, I doubt Google will expect other cities to make similar concessions as Kansas City. Kansas City was likely the odd runt of the bidders, and gave Google more than they expected. Google is simply capitalizing on the benefits of the deal; any sane business would. After anticipated success in Kansas City, Google may very well just work down the list of cities who give good benefits. The flip side of this is that the other cities may be willing to pay more after they see the degree of success in Kansas City.

Gigabit internet is amazingly fast, but for Google to juxtapose that offer with an slow-speed internet rather than 20 Mbps internet offered by companies like Time Warner definitely seems like a marketing ploy. Then again, maybe Google doesn't have the hardware to support HS internet in Kansas City (lol?).

They can. 1000Mb/s if you pay monthly. 5Mbps if you want FREE internet. 5Mb/s is MORE than enough for the AVERAGE household.

my bet is on the flip side of that coin, KC may have gotten the initial bid by giving those concessions, but I would bet that other cities will be willing to make those same concessions down the road so long as the KC test is a success.....and so far Google has had the Midas touch on most of the projects it has pushed forward.

What is the accepted lower limit speed of what would be called high-speed internet? I'm used to the 20 Mb/s as being fast enough in my house of 7 heavy internet users.

Isn't 1000mb/s like... some kind of overkill? I mean, if your download is faster then the server/whateveryouwannaaccess's upload speed, it will not help, i think..... or am i wrong here?

Isn't 1000mb/s like... some kind of overkill? I mean, if your download is faster then the server/whateveryouwannaaccess's upload speed, it will not help, i think..... or am i wrong here?

You are right.

However with the infrastructure in place, file transfers between say two government buildings would be faster. Schools could stream content to each other, etc, etc.

Also not only are you limited by the servers upload speed, you are also limited to the write rate of your HDD/SDD.

It would also mean data hoggers on the same node as you would have less of an effect on speed.

i love how Latvia, a small country in on the other side of the globe, has had providers providing 1gb connections for forever already, and for very reasonable prices :D
and good quality
and did i mention reasonable prices?

You are right.

However with the infrastructure in place, file transfers between say two government buildings would be faster. Schools could stream content to each other, etc, etc.

Also not only are you limited by the servers upload speed, you are also limited to the write rate of your HDD/SDD.

It would also mean data hoggers on the same node as you would have less of an effect on speed.

Okies, but let's take that school-to-school example. You would need a very, very fast pc to upload things, and a very fast one to download/show the information that you would get.

But inbetween those, you would need a direct glassfibre connection, or another server with just as fast (or even faster) download AND upload speed, to fully use this. Because it would be very expensive to make (many) servers that fast, not everyone will be able to profit from this, i think.

Okies, but let's take that school-to-school example. You would need a very, very fast pc to upload things, and a very fast one to download/show the information that you would get.

But inbetween those, you would need a direct glassfibre connection, or another server with just as fast (or even faster) download AND upload speed, to fully use this. Because it would be very expensive to make (many) servers that fast, not everyone will be able to profit from this, i think.

Agreed, but you don't want to fully saturate the connection, so the Gigabit fiber just gives the servers more room to breathe. Think of it like this:

Current city lines are like a 3 lane highway. Its good enough. However during heavy traffic it can get jammed or crowded. Now with Google Fiber think of it as a 10 lane highway. Lots of room for traffic even during rush hour everyone is doing 75mph.

Get it?

Too bad i live in the middle of freaking nowhere... Ah well, I'm fine with my 5GB cap at 70KB's download speeds (not). :confused:

Yeah it was part of their next expansion, the 33 other cities is the 'potential' cities they were looking into. Nashville apparently finished their checklist and was approved. Can read about it here.
I've been keeping my fingers crossed that Raleigh/Durham gets it. And that I am not too far out there to not get it. I SWEAR I LIVE IN RALEIGH CITY LIMITS DAMNIT.

Lol, yeah I'm not in Nashville area but it's nice to have it atleast being setup nearby to get the network started.

Back