• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Guide to Fighting the Enderdragon

Ustulo

If you're like me, you are always at the front line, attempting to discover every single thing about a new update. In 1.9 Pre Release 6, amazing changes are made, including the end of the game, and the enderdragon. The beast is a very difficult one to defeat, and thus, requires its own guide.

To start with, how do you find the enderdragon?
Duh, make it to the end by use of 12 eyes of the ender on a portal in a stronghold.

When you first enter The End, things are much different than before the update. You should spawn in an endstone bunker, underground, and upon exiting, you'll find that The End is much smaller than before, just a small float island in a sea of the void. Also, at the top of your screen you'll see "Boss Health," the health of the enderdragon.
2011-11-11_12.03.52.png

The next thing you'll likely notice are the flames atop the tall obsidian pillars. When I first encountered one, I was quite confused at it, and clicked on it. I was greeted with a mighty explosion, knocking me right from the obelisk.
Your first priority, I later found out, is to destroy the things that look like dice, the enderdragon can restore its health from them. When the dragon is restoring it's health, there appears to be a chain connecting the two. You cannot kill the dragon (without hacks) if you don't destroy these.
2011-11-11_12.04.16.png

Once they are destroyed, your next challenge is to kill the dragon itself. Queue up your favorite songs, and get ready for a fight. It is fairly easily accomplished in creative, where you have no worry of the endermen at your feet, far below. If you are just hoping to test, just equip some arrows and a diamond sword, and hack that beast apart. When hit, it slows down, so sword is the best if you can fly, so you can quickly deal high damage.

Now, for legitimate play, things get much harder. You will need a heavily enchanted sword, arrows, very powerful armor, and potions. Using a regeneration potion would be very beneficial, you'll take some hits, and they restore more health than instant health ones do. Even though there is only one, which isn't the best thing for SMP, it would be much easier there. Simply by having a team of archers shooting arrows when the dragon gets close enough would make it fairly easy, but the ability to only do it once, and the rewards can't quite cover for it.
2011-11-11_12.08.14.png

Eventually, you'll finally manage to kill the dragon.
2011-11-11_13.07.17.png

The rewards make the whole ordeal quite worth it. Prepare for some lag, right when the thing begins to drop. It drops enough experience orbs to give you 137 levels. Yes, I went from level 0 to 137 from killing a single monster. Then, it will create the exit portal to return to the overworld, made of bedrock, with a pillar with a single enderdragon egg on top. Currently, there are no known uses, expect them after the full release. However, by right-clicking it, it will teleport to another location.
2011-11-11_13.08.49.png

A very interesting thing happens when you decide to return to the overworld. You are given the only cutscene in all of Minecraft, which appears to be two very powerful beings speaking about you. The fun thing is, it is customized for your name. This dialog hints at future bosses to fight. First off, though, you'll get the hardest achievement in the game!
2011-11-11_13.13.35.png

Screen shot 2011-11-11 at 1.13.44 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-11-11 at 1.14.19 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-11-11 at 1.14.33 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-11-11 at 1.15.05 PM.png

Very nice, isn't it?

Here's a .zip folder containing a creative and a survival world, and a schematic file.
http://www.mediafire.com/?fg6m2c6a4bv4g1t

The fuck did who in the fold of a what and who created the what and what created the what for who in the what and why!?!?!?!?
The insanity piece of writing was changing constantly, this picture doesn't do it justice.

Also... this thing has 200 health.

Protip: Headshots with arrows deals substantial damage to the enderdragon and makes it recoil.

This means that its most vulnerable moment is when it flies straight for you with its charge attack.

Very risky but worth it especially since you could stop the dragon before it hits you.

Protip: Headshots with arrows deals substantial damage to the enderdragon and makes it recoil.

This means that its most vulnerable moment is when it flies straight for you with its charge attack.

Very risky but worth it especially since you could stop the dragon before it hits you.
Exactly. Although, I prefer one headshot, but once the dragon got close enough (during the charge) I would hack it to bits, since the sword acts faster.

I just went into creative and did it. Fairly easy, but I didn't hit its head as much, so it took a while
Not hard at all in creative. I'm trying to do it in survival now. I've died over ten times already, insanely hard!
Probably because I'm not healing, couldn't find any ghasts in the nether for regen potions.

Lol it's calling ustulo an "it" hahaha
It would've called you an it if you were there!

Ustulo said:
Not hard at all in creative. I'm trying to do it in survival now. I've died over ten times already, insanely hard!
Probably because I'm not healing, couldn't find any ghasts in the nether for regen potions.

It would've called you an it if you were there!

That's why I wasn't :ninja:

This picture wasn't originally in the full post, because it was too large, so I rescaled it.
This is the enderdragon beginning to explode into bits of experience.
Screen shot 2011-11-11 at 1.07.33 PM copy.png

Here's a .zip folder containing to world folders, one in creative, the other, survival. Also included is a schematic of the dragon eggs.
http://www.mediafire.com/?fg6m2c6a4bv4g1t
I don't take credit for making these, crasherz5 did. I just compiled them into one folder and reuploaded.

For those wondering... you can use pistons to pick up the dragon egg. So if you don't mind me, I'll be returning to the overworld now, to place my egg in my super secret shrine of awesome stuff.

Am I the only one or does this remind 'a bit' of Terraria? :confused:

And, after you won against the enderdragon... You have finished the game? :confused: Wut? Minecraft has an end? :confused:

Am I the only one or does this remind 'a bit' of Terraria? :confused:

And, after you won against the enderdragon... You have finished the game? :confused: Wut? Minecraft has an end? :confused:
I wouldn't call it an end, I consider it just another milestone.

What I heard is you can pick up the egg by pushing it with a piston...

I also heard something happens with an eye of ender if you click on it.

What I heard is you can pick up the egg by pushing it with a piston...

I also heard something happens with an eye of ender if you click on it.
I'll try the eye of the ender thing. Any right click makes it teleport.

And yes, you can pick up the egg with a piston.

Back