OUYA going to give Microsoft and Sony a run for their money

SteveTheSheep

This week my father had to leave for a week because of a family emergency and we have been calling each other everyday. We have been having really techie conversations lately and I'm starting to learn Java. I called him when I heard about OUYA and he told me he just read about it in the news.

Anyways OUYA is an android based "console" that aims at true 3ed developer support. Anyways here is the article:

Mojang said:
If OUYA delivers on the promise of being the first true open gaming platform that gives indie developers access to the living room gaming market, yes that is a great idea. We will follow the development of OUYA and see how it resonates with gamers. I could see all current Mojang games go on the platform if there's a demand for it.

This week my father had to leave for a week because of a family emergency and we have been calling each other everyday. We have been having really techie conversations lately and I'm starting to learn Java. I called him when I heard about OUYA and he told me he just read about it in the news.

Anyways OUYA is an android based "console" that aims at true 3ed developer support. Anyways here is the article:
open to hackers to modify it
That alone, for a whole other console opens up a door left closed to history. A console where it is hackable and the people designing it will basically allow it. That alone opens up a door to a whole bunch of windows of opportunities.

That alone, for a whole other console opens up a door left closed to history. A console where it is hackable and the people designing it will basically allow it. That alone opens up a door to a whole bunch of windows of opportunities.
Its really just an android tablet same security and everything. But it's a different market.

This article just showed up on IGN. Apparently the Ouya had one of the biggest Kickstarter launch days of all time and have already sold out of consoles. I'm curious to see what sort of ramifications this will have on the console market.

Looking at the specs for the console...it sounds a bit like a mid to high-end tablet. Much like an Asus Transformer tablet, to be specific. I'm not sure how powerful that may really be, but since the console it totally modable (in theory), it could/should be easy to upgrade it some and get a more powerful/faster performing machine. Also, I'm not sure how large or great the selection will be for games when they are first launched, especially if the whole premise is going to be free-to-play. There are some great free-to-plays out there, but the vast majority are annoying trying to get you to pay for the full version of the game. I have cautious optimism about this.

It might be new and cool but... Halo. Gg. That is all.
Halo: Independence - I want it.

Seriously though, completely independent developing? For a game console? You don't think someone will maybe come up with a few games even better than Halo?

Halo: Independence - I want it.

Seriously though, completely independent developing? For a game console? You don't think someone will maybe come up with a few games even better than Halo?

Many have tried... None have succeeded... What could possibly beat Halo? The storyline alone is just... Outstanding... I just can't imagine any other game having a more entertaining multiplayer, custom games and campaign...

You WANT to think that they will have a better game than Halo but just think back to the days of Halo 3... Halo 3 man... Just remember the multiplayer... Greatest multiplayer... Ever.

Many have tried... None have succeeded... What could possibly beat Halo? The storyline alone is just... Outstanding... I just can't imagine any other game having a more entertaining multiplayer, custom games and campaign...

You WANT to think that they will have a better game than Halo but just think back to the days of Halo 3... Halo 3 man... Just remember the multiplayer... Greatest multiplayer... Ever.
Assassin's Creed has better storyline AND campaign.
Team Fortress 2 has better multiplayer.
Minecraft has better custom gamemodes.

Remember, all your opinions only belong to you...I personally never liked the multiplayer aspect of the Halo franchise.

Assassin's Creed has better storyline AND campaign.
Team Fortress 2 has better multiplayer.
Minecraft has better custom gamemodes.
Remember, all your opinions only belong to you...I personally never liked the multiplayer aspect of the Halo franchise.

Both of you are forgetting about Battletoads.

Nah. I was never a fan of that game.

110607-family-guy-evil-monkey.jpg

This better be a good fucking system.

Here is what I've concluded.

Take an Android phone... put it in a fancy casing. Attach a controller via bluetooth. *magic smoke* OUYA.

Terrible name for a cool concept. Plus its $100.00 per console. Really can't lose.

Will it become mainstream? Maybe. Will all depend on developer support. This is more like a companion to other consoles, as this will play Android games and not hardcore titles designed for more powerful consoles/PCs.

Here is what I've concluded.

Take an Android phone... put it in a fancy casing. Attach a controller via bluetooth. *magic smoke* OUYA.

Terrible name for a cool concept. Plus its $100.00 per console. Really can't lose.

Will it become mainstream? Maybe. Will all depend on developer support. This is more like a companion to other consoles, as this will play Android games and not hardcore titles designed for more powerful consoles/PCs.
Can modify the hardware without voiding the warranty.
Can work with people on the other side of the world to develop the best games in the world - without a budget.
Utilize crowd-sourcing to get the best developers onto your team.
Android OS - but it doesn't just work on phones. My friend already has an Android notebook - it kicks some serious ass.
Think US Military - "Oo-rah"

Back