Team Fortress 2 MvM

awesome.png

I came back to my computer after waiting 15 minutes to see it had matched me up, then I get a nice little box in the middle of the screen:

Failed to connect to server after 4 retries.

Wait time is now an hour -.-

Also, what's with having to shell out money for EACH match you play in Mann Up?

My experience with MvM so far:
Joined a server where my fps drops to 5 while I'm alive
Joined a server where I was forced to spectate
Joined a server that crashed tf2
@_o

Joined a server where my fps drops to 5 while I'm alive
Joined a server where I was forced to spectate
Joined a server that crashed tf2
@_o
Joined no servers while waiting
Waiting for last 2 mins in queue now.

Waiting for servers.
Empty game servers: 0
Players in queue: 9127
*Joins a server within 5 seconds*
:winning:

Waiting for last 2 mins in queue now.
Don't wait in the queue, find a server with the server browser.

Ahem... Gentlemen, find 5 Friends, get everyone on evolve, then host a LAN game. Me, Nuron and some other friends played last night without a hitch.

Mann up mode is SO DIFFICULT! Me and some other T9kers tackled Mann Up Mode and we barely made it to wave 3 before getting flattened -_-

Mann up mode is SO DIFFICULT! Me and some other T9kers tackled Mann Up Mode and we barely made it to wave 3 before getting flattened -_-
Well, it's quite clear we were doing SOMETHING wrong. I'm ready to give it another go.

Well, it's quite clear we were doing SOMETHING wrong. I'm ready to give it another go.

Agreed. I think two engi's max should be used, followed by a heavy(s) and/or a demo and then someone who can cause area of effect damage (pyro). Here's what I've observed through the little bit that I've played:

The maps are set up so the enemies coming towards us bottleneck at a couple of different points. At these bottlenecks, engi's should have their turrets in place mowing down the robots. The heavy(s) should be there as well next to dispensers helping mow down the enemies. The demo will fire sticky bombs and his grenade launcher into the crowd for added effect. This should contain the rush fairly well, with the exception of a sentry buster or even a couple of giant robots. In case of a breach, the pyro can be there to add some additional damage until another choke point can be established by the engi's. The whole objective is to keep the bomb from making it to the end, so that should be the focus, and if the bomb makes it past a choke point, we need to pull back and reestablish a line of defense. If the bomb happens to make it to the final point, then the engis need to make sure their turrets are in place so the bomb is in their kill zone and all other teammates should be forward outside of the turret kill zones damaging the enemy as much as possible to make it easier for the turret.

I think the engi's are going to be most useful because their turrets and dispensers. The turrets can be upgraded to increase their rate of fire and health, so they can become a bit more tough to destroy, especially if the engi is right there and protected enough to avoid any direct fire from the enemies. Heavies add to the damage, especially when you increase the rate of fire and they can get +25% health back for every kill, making them a bit tougher to take down, especially when standing next to a dispenser getting constantly supplied with ammo and health. Demoman is good for his grenades/bombs, which cause basically instant-kill for most enemies that get a direct his from a grenade/bomb, and additional area of effect damage from the explosions, so it can help thin out huge rushes, pyros also have good area of effect damage, which can weaken enemies before they get to turrets or heavies.

Again, the key to this theoretical plan is the engi's working in unison at the same location with both of their turrets. If the turrets are scattered going up the map, you're not going to be as effective, and you're allowing the rush to continue up the map and string itself out, making it more difficult to contain and prevent the bomb from moving forward. A strung-out rush equals more time spent further away from the entry point cleaning up the strays, and less time setting up and preparing for another wave up-coming.

Other important information!

Teleporters can go both ways. This is really useful on maps where there's tanks or giants, because you can run backwards and forwards across the map.

Engies are indispensable. Sentries can take half a tank's health away in 5 seconds. However, Engies are more useful because they have Dispensers. Dispensers are incredibly important. Running out of ammo is really easy in MvM, and having a constant ammo (and health) source is vital.

Medics should use Kritzkriegs. They allow for overheal, charge quickly, and the crits are very useful against giants or tanks. My friends and I found that a good tactic to employ is to build charge in the (massive) setup time, and deploy it on a Demo (still in setup time) so he can place a field of fully critical stickies right where the robots land.

Scouts are OP; they respawn instantly and can collect a lot of cash really quickly. However, they lack the stopping power to fight anything. Mad Milk is useful, though.

Soldiers are really good, full stop. They should use Buff Banners. You'll be able to fill up the meter several times a wave, and the minicrits are useful. Additionally, an upgraded Buff Banner has no range, so that once deployed, everyone on your team gets buffed.

Demos are totally needed. They are, perhaps, the single most damaging class in MvM.
Heavies are rather useless, however. I found them to not be that useful.

Snipers and Spies, similarly, are pretty rubbish. Although Jarate has a prolonged effect, and Spies can sap robots, they're too weak; too situational to have any benefit.

Also, one thing I noticed is that robot Spies are really buggy. They'll often just stand still in one spot, and do weird shit.

Teleporters can go both ways. This is really useful on maps where there's tanks or giants, because you can run backwards and forwards across the map.

Engies are indispensable. Sentries can take half a tank's health away in 5 seconds. However, Engies are more useful because they have Dispensers. Dispensers are incredibly important. Running out of ammo is really easy in MvM, and having a constant ammo (and health) source is vital.

Medics should use Kritzkriegs. They allow for overheal, charge quickly, and the crits are very useful against giants or tanks. My friends and I found that a good tactic to employ is to build charge in the (massive) setup time, and deploy it on a Demo (still in setup time) so he can place a field of fully critical stickies right where the robots land.

Scouts are OP; they respawn instantly and can collect a lot of cash really quickly. However, they lack the stopping power to fight anything. Mad Milk is useful, though.

Soldiers are really good, full stop. They should use Buff Banners. You'll be able to fill up the meter several times a wave, and the minicrits are useful. Additionally, an upgraded Buff Banner has no range, so that once deployed, everyone on your team gets buffed.

Demos are totally needed. They are, perhaps, the single most damaging class in MvM.

Snipers and Spies, similarly, are pretty rubbish. Although Jarate has a prolonged effect, and Spies can sap robots, they're too weak; too situational to have any benefit.

Also, one thing I noticed is that robot Spies are really buggy. They'll often just stand still in one spot, and do weird shit.
As I was dead, I watched Konflakes getting humped by a spy disguised as himself, while Konflakes was mowing down bots. After 10 seconds of complete boredom of humping Konflakes, he was backstabbed...
How many tickets does it take to get to the end of a Tour of Duty?

Heavy is actually useful if you can get the penetration upgrades, they can mow down a lot of robots. Though they aren't too helpful for giant robots.

If they don't get the penetration upgrade I've found them to be terrible, they simply don't kill enough otherwise.

Back