The Internet Has How Many Addresses????

moondoggy23

340 undecillion. That's how many addresses there are on the Internet now thanks to the roll out of IPv6. You can read about IPv6 here. In case you were wondering, 340 undecillion = 340 trillion trillion trillion. Recently, the Internet only had about "4.3 billion unique addresses...a growth factor of 79 octillion." I would ask at what point do we just give up making up names for large numbers and say "infinity millions," but I have a feeling the number-maker-uppers would be counting a long time to figure out when that would be used.

340,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. I think I got that right. I might have added one-too-many 0's. That should be 340 Undecillion.

IPv6 hasn't been rolled out properly yet though. Most of the world still has IPv4 addresses that need to be converted to IPv6 by their ISP.

IPv6 provides enough IP's for a few thousand for every molecule in every humans body.

Wow, even I can't count that far. Internet really is the greatest invention since Newtons modern science.

There are 10 million million million million million million million millon x 10^24 particles in the universe. I think there's more web addresses than that.

That means all the current IP bans will all be lifted :D

Not in particular. Even after the IPv6 switch IPv4 addresses will still be used everywhere. It will take a very long time before we start getting IPv6 addresses for our internet. The first implementation will be with the telco and ISP companies' internal networks.

Back