The Linux Thread

mcfar45

Just a thread to discuss Linux stuff like favourite distros, favourite software, problems you might be having and other stuff!!!

I'll start by saying that I am running Linux Mint 12 as a dual boot with Win 7 and I am loving how smoothly it runs, but I can't seem to work out how to force shut off the Radeon Graphics Card in this laptop and force the OS to use the Integrated Graphics only. Anyone able to help with this issue?

I've had some experience with Ubuntu and I really liked it! But there's to many windows programs I use for me to only use a Linux OS.

*Waits for Rio to enter thread*

>Install Ubuntu to have faster Minecraft experience
>spend one whole week trying to get wireless adapter to work, doesn't
>give up on laptop
>install Ubuntu on desktop on a hard drive
>forget to make separate partition
>discover the installer reformatted 200 Gigabytes of Movies, Shows, and Music
>Goddammit what the fuck shit ass
>Run a recovery scan, it runs FOR TWO WHOLE WEEKS
>recover data, but some parts missing, holes in movies and shows (fuck)
>make partition, install Ubuntu
>spend another week trying to get wireless adapter to work
>drivers not working, nothing is working
>give up and hate Ubuntu forever
>mfw when I can't do colors on team9000

You know what? I love Linux. It's made from the same stuff Mac OSX is made of (UNIX), and it's so clean and sexy. There's many freeware alternatives to things that are paid apps, made solely for Linux. I can't wait until the Industry realizes that Linux is a real operating system, and that there's demand for Games and Apps that are for Linux. For example, I would love to see Microsoft port Microsoft Office to Linux. That would be an amazing leap in the computer industry.

Valve, on the other hand, is making this a reality. With their Linux port of Steam AND the Source Engine, this means that they're considering Linux as a fully fledged operating system, not just some throwaway OS.
steam-phoronix-640_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

left4dead2-linux.jpeg

( Here's a Video, but it's not that good. -_- )
I'm very excited to see Linux grow and become a primary OS for people who would otherwise be using Windows or Mac.

Freedom is power.

Long live Open Source!

:D

I'm running Win8 / Linux (Ubuntu). Never had an issues with drivers. PC is roughly 3 years old now. In need of an upgrade soon.

my first computer was windos 98 and linux. i used linux for everything but games. reason being was that the only games i had were windows exclusive and this was before the internet was big.

Just a thread to discuss Linux stuff like favourite distros, favourite software, problems you might be having and other stuff!!!

I'll start by saying that I am running Linux Mint 12 as a dual boot with Win 7 and I am loving how smoothly it runs, but I can't seem to work out how to force shut off the Radeon Graphics Card in this laptop and force the OS to use the Integrated Graphics only. Anyone able to help with this issue?
not sure if this will help at all but hey, it's worth a shot. http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/24483-Switchable-Graphics-Ubuntu-10-10

My linux experience
>Buys wireless card
>Drivers don't work
>Get updated drivers
>They don't work
>Find special drivers
>They also don't work
>Find driver wrapper
>That doesn't work either
>Turns out fricken realtek don't make their drivers for 64-bit.

My linux experience
>Buys wireless card
>Drivers don't work
>Get updated drivers
>They don't work
>Find special drivers
>They also don't work
>Find driver wrapper
>That doesn't work either
>Turns out fricken realtek don't make their drivers for 64-bit.
For reference, some 32-bit drivers will work on 64-bit systems...

Back