Universe Discussion Thread

I'm a little confused. :p Could you explain this principle in more detail, please? :)
It's kind of hard to explain simply.
"If aliens exist on other planets, why haven't we met them yet?"
That's the idea behind the Fermi Paradox. Besides, Earth's first radio broadcasts were only from ~100 years ago. How many aliens could hear us?
radio_broadcasts.jpg

...not to mention the billions of other galaxies out there.

That's the idea behind the Fermi Paradox. Besides, Earth's first radio broadcasts were only from ~100 years ago. How many aliens could hear us?
radio_broadcasts.jpg

So the Vulcans know we're here, at least. :D

But, serious response. What if WE'RE the most advanced? Humans always like to entertain the notion that the aliens will come to us.

What if there are aliens, and they're simply in the stone to medieval era? Maybe we'll be the ones to find them, not the other way around.

But, serious response. What if WE'RE the most advanced? Humans always like to entertain the notion that the aliens will come to us.

What if there are aliens, and they're simply in the stone to medieval era? Maybe we'll be the ones to find them, not the other way around.
Or what if there was a other intelligent race and they ended up killing each other off with their own advanced technology.

Eh, you never know.

I was really tired when I wrote this so I hope it makes sense. :p

radio_broadcasts.jpg

The universe is massive, indeed. However, it is also relatively old. Personally, I do not believe intelligent life exists elsewhere, but if I were to look at the universe from a strict hypothetical standpoint, there is simply not enough evidence to support the existence of intelligent life on other planets.

For evolutionists who believe the universe is billions upon billions of years old (maybe trillions?), the hypothesis that highly advanced alien species ought to exist because of the apparent size and age of the universe may be considered impossible because of the previously quoted "Fermi Paradox". Why?

First, for a highly advanced alien society, the size of the universe would not be as much of an issue for them as to us, in theory. New transportation methods would undoubtedly be devised that could allow an individual to go at speeds beyond our comprehension.

Second, if they had billions upon billions of years to develop they would also have billions upon billions of years to reach us. If you look at time as an almost infinite measurement, the probability that we would not have made contact with another alien species of any kind during the Earth's existence is negligible.

Interesting idea for a story, but again, the Fermi Paradox. It would be extremely more probable that another alien civilization would exceed our technological levels during the existence of the universe before mankind's existence would have begun (again, hypothetically speaking; I believe the universe is relatively young compared to most theories).

Just two things here.

1. In order for us to meet Intelligent life, a number of factors have to coincide. Firstly, there has to be two intelligent life forms within say... 100 light years of eachother so we can actually have a chance of talking to them. This is extremely unlikely simply due to the improbability of life in the universe. Secondly, they both need to be in a relatively close stage of technological development that they can actually contact eachother. Thirdly, they need to stumble across eachother's transmissions, and finally, they must both do all of this at the same time. It's very easy to miss the sweet spot by about 1000 years, in space terms, that's an eyeblink. If there are other civilisations, it's likely they're too far away/dead long before we get close to contacting them/we're dead by the time they contact us.

2. For all you deep space nuts that want to go exploring the universe, I know your pain. Here, have a cookie. Or better than that: Space Engine! Yep, a Procedurally Generated Universe Explorer. We're not talking light on the procedural generation either. It does everything from galaxies right down to individual grassy hills on a planet. It is probably the most beautiful piece of software I have ever been thrown at. USE IT :D

I'm not sure if meeting other intelligent life forms would be a good thing. Either we would want to steal all of their resources/technology and cut them open for experiments, or they would want to do the same with us. I think we have a hard enough time getting along as a planet, imagine problems with another whole possibly bigger and smarter planet.

Has nasa ever designed a probe that was design to withstand intense heat to the highest degree and was rigged with instruments to get info regarding the sun and crashed it into the sun and all recorded data was sent back to earth?

Has nasa ever designed a probe that was design to withstand intense heat to the highest degree and was rigged with instruments to get info regarding the sun and crashed it into the sun and all recorded data was sent back to earth?
I don't think so.
But that would be hard considering the Sun is, what, a >10,000 C ball of gas.

True but just wondering how close it could get with such measures and what would come of it.
I dunno.
It would probably take a while, considering we just don't have the technology yet.
But what do I know, I'm Australian. I think the sun is just a big tennis ball that makes us all hot. x3

But in other news, if we could develop material technologies that could withstand such temperatures, we could do other shit, like go to the center of the Earth, and stuff.

I dunno.
It would probably take a while, considering we just don't have the technology yet.
But what do I know, I'm Australian. I think the sun is just a big tennis ball that makes us all hot. x3

But in other news, if we could develop material technologies that could withstand such temperatures, we could do other shit, like go to the center of the Earth, and stuff.
I like that idea. See how much deeper we could go with that technology. But is the heat the limitation for us to go deeper? Or is it the technology to go deeper? (incoming inception jokes)

I'm not referring to the meme. I don't see how that was a racist comment. Basically what I meant to say is that I don't think there are aliens out there the only real alien are illegal aliens. Since they have alien in their name.
Can we get back to the universe discussing, please?

Back