• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Ustulo's Guide to the Amazing Features of 1.9!

Ustulo

I have decided to build a complete guide to every potion, every enchantment in Minecraft. This guide will be created over the next few days, and screenshots will constantly be added. These new features make the game much more complex, so don't expect this to be done in a single sitting. In addition, as I acquire every single enchantment in the game, I will upload MCEdit schematics, so you can paste my efforts into your own worlds to test out for yourself!

Upon opening 1.9, you will notice that mobs have become much stronger. All mobs need to take extra hits to be killed, but all is not lost. Now, you can create weapons that deal more damage, or light mobs on fire, and create potions that heal people as a group, or poison entire dungeons. You can create a pickaxe that mines multiple blocks, or a pickaxe that harvests the exact block it is trying to mine, allowing the harvest of blocks such as diamond ore, ice, and mob spawners. Imagine a helmet that lets you survive underwater, or special fireproof armor. These intricate new features, used in the proper ways, can greatly enhance gameplay. This guide in intended to help out anyone hoping to utilize these special new abilities!

Enchanting-
Two things are required to begin to enchant items. An enchanting table, and levels. To make an enchanting table, make a row of obsidian at the bottom of a crafting table, then another obsidian in the center, next to two diamond gems, topped off with a book on the upper center. To acquire levels, kill mobs (hostile is best) and collect those little orbs they drop, experience orbs. Once enough is gained, you'll level up.
Place the table wherever you wish, but be careful when you decide to move it. It can be broken in a single punch, but will drop nothing unless harvested with a pickaxe in hand. Once you have at least one level, right click (or control+click for you Mac users) the enchantment table, bringing up a new interface. Place the item you wish to enchant (Armor, swords, axes, shovels, and pickaxes) into the space under the book, and click on any enchantment that is highlighted, spending the number it shows of your levels. The enchantment is random, so don't expect consistent results. Click on one, and your item will be enchanted!

There are many kinds of enchantments (screenshots coming soon!)
For armor-
Protection- simply increasing the amount armor protects you, going up to tier IV.
Fire Protection- protects against fire and lava damage, but is not resistant in the way that fire potions are, IV level maximum.
Feather Falling (boots only)- Protects against fall damage.
Blast Protection- Protects against the explosions caused by creepers and TNT, IV maximum.
Projectile Protection- Protects against arrows, IV maximum level.
Respiration (helmet only)- Increases the time able to be spent underwater before suffocating, this time increases with each level, III maximum.
Aqua Affinity (helmet only)- Increases the speed of mining underwater.

Swords-
Sharpness- Increases damage done by sword, each level increases this damage by one half heart. Maximum level V.
Smite- hits zombies, skeletons, and zombie pigmen higher amounts of damage, V level maximum.
Bane of Arthopods- his spiders, cave spiders, and silverfish higher amounts of damage, V level maximum.
Knockback- sends players or mobs flying backwards. Without doubt one of the best enchantments. II level maximum.
Fire Aspect- lights the mob or player on fire, so you can rune away will they die. Level II maximum.
Looting- mobs have the chance of dropping extra items, III level maximum.

Tools (all the same)-
Efficiency- increases the speed of breaking a block, increases as you gain levels. +10% each level. IV maximum.

Silk Touch- mines the exact block, not it's counterpart. So instead of stone turning into cobblestone, you'd mine stone. With this, you can mine diamond ore, redstone ore, ice, and even mob spawners! I only.

Unbreaking- chance of not using a use of the tool, maximum of III.

Fortune- chance of mining multiple items at once. I've mined two diamonds from once or block with it. The chance increases each level, and goes up to tier III.

A set consisting of enchanted armor and a diamond sword is shown below.
Screen shot 2011-10-14 at 10.56.51 AM.png

Knockback and Sharpness effects acting at the same time on a spider, flying backwards from my power.
2011-10-16_17.12.37.png

Brewing-
Brewing is making potions, for those that cannot guess that already. To begin to make potions, you must craft a Brewing Stand, which requires access to the Nether or a Nether-like area. you must hunt down a Nether stronghold, and find a Blaze (the creatures that shoot the fireballs) spawner, and kill blazes to get Blaze Rods. You shouldn't break the spawner, since you will always be in need of Blaze rods. Then, in a crafting table, fill the bottom row with cobblestone, with a single Blaze Rod in the center. Retrieve the brewing stand, and place it anywhere. To receive ANY positive effects from potions, you must journey to the Nether once more, to the stronghold you reached earlier, and search for Nether Wart, the red things that look similar to mushrooms. It is recommended to set up a farm near your main portal. To farm them, just place them on soul sand in the Nether, and they will grow. At full size, harvest them and replant.

The second tool which is very important are glass bottles, crafted in the same way as a bucket, but replacing iron ingots with glass, creating three glass bottles. Use these on water to fill them with water. Next, with your brewing stand, place the water bottles into the three slots at the bottom, and place the Nether Wart on the top. Be sure that you have some nether wart planted in the Nether, or else your supplies will be very limited! Once the bar fills, you will have "Awkward Potion," which does nothing. Don't remove the potion from the stand just yet though, you won't be able to put them back.

Then, you have a choice of many secondary ingredients. These ingredients are sugar, ghast tears (new ghast drop), glistering melon (a gold nugget and a melon crafted together), blaze powder (blaze rod crafted by itself makes two), magma cream (slimeball and blaze powder crafted together), spider eyes, and fermented spider eyes.
Ghast Tears- makes a Potion of Regeneration, which allows your health to rapid restore itself.
Glistering Melon- on a similar note to Ghast Tears, these create the very valuable Instant Healing potion.
Blaze Powder- makes the Potion of Strength, which allows you to hit monsters harder (with your hands only, unfortunately).
Magma Cream- used to create the Potion of Fire Resistance, allowing you to not be harmed by flames, and to swim in lava.
Spider Eye- used to create the Potion of Poison, which acts in the same way as cave spider venom.
Sugar- used to create a Potion of Swiftness, when walking is the same speed as sprinting.

From there, you can continue by adding yet another ingredient, to enhance the potion, or to make a new one.
Redstone- increases the duration of the potion, most useful in potions such as regeneration or fire resistance.
Glowstone dust- increases the power of the potion, for example, a Potion of Swiftness with glowstone dust becomes a Potion of Swiftness II, aka the crack-head-potion. Your walking speed is a hyper-sprint, and if you go to quake pro FOV, well, have fun tripping.
Gunpowder- without doubt my favorite thing to add to a potion. This can turn a potion of any type into a splash potion, a potion grenade. You can throw these kinds of potions, for good or evil. You can poison massive groups of mobs (although spiders are immune to poison), or heal groups of your friends if they are low on health. Yes, you can now be a medic in Minecraft. The place the potion hits will be affected the most, and the farther away a target is from the site of impact the less they will be affected.
Screenshots of splash potions being used-
Potion of Fire Resistance
2011-10-15_15.23.10.png

Potion of Instant Healing
2011-10-15_15.19.47.png

Potion of Poison (This also shows what happens if you are too close to your test subject)
2011-10-15_15.18.04.png

Also, some potions are changed by adding another ingredient.
Potion of Swiftness+Fermented Spider Eye- makes the potion of slowness, great for slowing down those annoying spiders or creepers if turned into a splash potion.
Potion of Poison+Fermented Spider Eye- makes the Potion of Harming, best used as a plash potion to quickly remove a ton of pesky mobs.

Flow chart on potions-
(This is old, disregard what it says about Ghast Tears, this was before the fourth pre-release)
Potion_Flow.png

One final note on potions and their effects, you can drink a bucket of milk to stop them. If you are caving and get poisoned by a cave spider, you can drink a bucket of milk here, as well, since poison is a potion affect.

Much more is coming soon, tactica on how to use all these features, more screenshots, and perhaps even videos!
And of course, schematics full of items!

Downloads
You need MCEdit to make use of these downloads.
A complete back of enchanted items will be coming soon!

Sharpness III+Knockback II sword combo!
http://www.mediafire.com/?h22oxo60h8rwskd

Many Epic Items! Includes Fire Aspect II sword, pickaxes, a full set of armor, and a respiration helmet. Other useful items are included.
http://www.mediafire.com/?5na3qw0vg66rt0n

Bunker of All Enchantments!
This is a schematic of four full chests in a bunker. Inside these chests you will find every single enchantment multiple times, ripe for your testing. This even includes the combination fortune+silk touch tools that jeb will remove, but these ones will stay enchanted. There are even tools with infinite life, so you can use double-harvesting for an infinite amount of time.
http://www.mediafire.com/?mg9tiwlwyl1bkrm

Was testing out combat with potions, the Strength II potion is amazing. Fighting is so easy now, you can kill creepers, spiders, zombies, and skeletons with just two hits again :D

Read the whole thing, and loved it! Thanks for posting this!

EDIT: You should get a sticky for this. Ask Wooty about it!
If so, I'd probably want the name changed to "Guide to the Amazing Features of 1.9!" so it seems less "about me."
But that would be good, I'm sure once the new server starts up and we get a sudden new flow of people, they're all going to be asking about how to use potions and enchantments.

So I leveled to level 45. Hard as Hell. Got a cool sword though! Introducing the downloads section!
2011-10-16_16.59.51.png

2011-10-16_17.03.23.png

2011-10-16_17.12.37.png

If anyone else wants to power-level and help me complete my library of enchanted items, here's how I do it.

You'll need the toomanyitems mod.
Build a 4- block high tower of cobblestone, with the center being 5x5 blocks wide. Find the center, place two blocks under you. Then, get the block# 97, the silverfish block, and outline the edge of the tower with it, one layer from the bottom. Break the blocks, letting the silverfish fall below. Repeat for a massive amount of time. Them, give yourself a set of diamond armor, a diamond sword, and some food and the Potion of Strength II, drink the potion, break the two block tower in the center, and kill all the silverfish with the result of a massive amount of xp. Repeat until level 45, or above. Then, with an enchantment table and bookcases, surround the table with tons of bookcases, give yourself a new diamond sword (or other diamond tool/ armor), and repeatedly place the sword/tool/armor in until you get an enchantment at level 45+ (44 will do if need be), place that into a single chest, and make an MCEdit schematic of it. We really need the tools at maximum level possible, please.

Back