WHO NEEDS MOAR MUSE??

MotorKat

I dunno about others on this site, but one of my favorite bands is MUSE. <3 <3 They were the first major live concert I ever attended back in 2007, and have since been a staple in the music I listen to.

They are releasing a new album on September 18th titled "The 2nd Law", which has a trailer video. if you can guess what the title of the newest album is in reference to... erm...
I'll figure out something that has potential prize value. Like MotorKat's Seal of Approval? yea, until I figure out a better option let's go with that. x3

you can also listen to the other albums for FREE on their main website at This Convenient Link. Enjoy!

To be honest I'm not as excited about new Muse albums, they've drifted a fair bit away from the style that hooked me up on them.
Black Holes and Revelations was the last good one, the next ones were... meh. I did enjoy that symphony on The Resistance but the rest of the songs were extremely forgettable. Amusingly enough, if for their early work they were associated to Radiohead, you can now say they sound like Queen.

Here's one who's going to see them live in Malmö on the 7th of December! So exited! Just need to find someone to give my other ticket too, though....

Amusingly enough, if for their early work they were associated to Radiohead, you can now say they sound like Queen.
I wasn't entirely sure I agreed with you, but then I listened to the Survival song posted above, and... wow, yeah, I can see what you mean. They're still pretty good, but their recent work has nothing on Absolution and BH&R.

That's becuase they don't stick to one genre. They're kind of a new band every record they make. But yes, I wouldn't go to one of their concerts if I knew they wouldn't be playing songs from their whole career.

That's becuase they don't stick to one genre. They're kind of a new band every record they make. But yes, I wouldn't go to one of their concerts if I knew they wouldn't be playing songs from their whole career.
the last concert I went back in Seattle 2007, they played a variety of songs from all of their albums. they still focused a lot on BHAM though

honestly, i'm more of a fan for Absolution and BHAR. Resistance is fine when i'm feeling more electronicky, but the other two are better imo
Dunno man I consider Resistance a mix of earlier mild songs with mainstream pop and that symphony at the end. Ughhhhh, Undisclosed Desires.

Dunno man I consider Resistance a mix of earlier mild songs with mainstream pop and that symphony at the end. Ughhhhh, Undisclosed Desires.
yea, Dat Symphony...

some of the remixes for Undisclosed Desires are good. a la mmmmmm...

also, let's discuss this too.

someone pointed out its an interesting mix of songs Endlessly and Undisclosed Desires. It sounds very mainstream for what's popular in top40 music these days, but the ending 1.5 mins are delicious to listen to <3

if anyone is lost in what i'm referencing, you can go and listen to almost all of their available songs at muse.mu

yea, Dat Symphony...

some of the remixes for Undisclosed Desires are good. a la mmmmmm...

also, let's discuss this too.

someone pointed out its an interesting mix of songs Endlessly and Undisclosed Desires. It sounds very mainstream for what's popular in top40 music these days, but the ending 1.5 mins are delicious to listen to <3

if anyone is lost in what i'm referencing, you can go and listen to almost all of their available songs at muse.mu
Dunno man, I think it lacks the distortion guitar you would expect in this kind of song. Too little awesome guitar riffs and too much pandering to the wub wubs crowd, which I'm not too fond of personally. Every time you think the song is turning for the best the M-M-M-M-Madness bullshit kicks in and ruins it. Again, a lot of Queen influence.

Also just found this in the Resistance wikipage to support my point:
Rolling Stone lauded "Uprising" as an "industrial-flavored" song that proved that Muse could still "whip up an almighty roar," but dismissed the album as a whole as clichéd and borrowing shamelessly from rock band Queen.

Queen guitarist Brian May praised the Queen-influenced sound that Muse incorporated into the album. "I love it, I think it's great stuff," May told the BBC.

Dunno man, I think it lacks the distortion guitar you would expect in this kind of song. Too little awesome guitar riffs and too much pandering to the wub wubs crowd, which I'm not too fond of personally. Every time you think the song is turning for the best the M-M-M-M-Madness bullshit kicks in and ruins it. Again, a lot of Queen influence.
eeeeeh, wub-wubs can be appropriate for certain songs, the first section of that song didn't appeal to me too much. I still remember when BHAM came out and not being impressed at all with the first single (Supermassive Black Hole). then, of course after I could determine how it fit with the rest of the album it was better. (Map of the Problematique, Knights, and the B-side Glorious made that album for me)
Also just found this in the Resistance wikipage to support my point:
the Queen influence was blaringly obvious with United States of Eurasia, enough said. its an interesting turn to their music, I'm hoping my resulting reaction to this upcoming album will be similar to how it was when BHAM came out.

You hardly hear anything about MUSE here in America.....or I'm just not paying attention.

I like MUSE, they are pretty awesome!

*Bump'd!*

well, after listening through the newest album I've determined it a slight disappointment. There are some good songs in it, love the orchestral and choral work, the overall message to the album is very appropriate for the times at hand, but...

The quality of the band I saw with the albums Absolution, BHAM and Resistance has fallen with this latest release. Why (IMO):
~~~Pandering to the Dubstep crowd. (No Offense; it can be appropriate for some songs, in fact it was very appropriate in Track 12 and parts of Track 06. But it wasn't needed for the other songs that featured that "wubbage" common in Dubstep. It should have been taken out during whatever experimentation with Dubstep the composers and mixers had.)
~~~The Queen influence was a nice touch in the album Resistance, but the use of that was absurdly excessive in the beginning of Tracks 03 & 05.
... other little comments and tidbits:
I was very surprised to finally hear Chris Wolstenholme (the Bassist) singing solo to tracks 10 & 11. it was a nice touch, though whether he should have sung the songs or Matt Bellamy instead is still up in the air for me. Track 11 felt like a slight return to the older-style composition I'm used to hearing from Muse, just with Chris singing instead...

Honestly, I'm suspecting there was some inner band conflict that had to settle with him singing a couple of his composed songs, keeping him with the rest of the band. It just doesn't make sense that after how many albums Muse has released he finally has the balls to sing his own songs instead of Matt doing all of the lead vocals.

anyone else listen to the album and have thoughts on this?

Back