Windows 8/8.1 slow gaming?

Shredex

I know, I'm really late with the times but I've finally got windows 8/8.1 and I've noticed it takes years to load a basic game that I've been running on Windows 7 for years without problems.

Anyone else run into this issue with Windows 8 and is there a way of fixing it? I've tried all compatibility modes...

is it a new computer than the one that had 7?
Old one:
32bit windows 7
Intel core 2 duo
4gb ram
gtx 560ti 1GB
1tb WD 7200 rpm

New one:(laptop)
64bit Windows 8.1
AMD A10 elite quad core
AMD radeon HD 8650G 512MB
1TB 5400rpm

Video card and HDD are better in the desktop but it should still be able to handle this dinky 600MB game just fine...
Spent all night installing all 100+ windows updates and 8.1 and it still runs the game like poop.
I noticed during the stupid OneDrive sync that my HDD went to 100% but CPU/GPU/RAM never touch 100%
I'm wondering if a 7200rpm HDD would help speed it up a bit.
Plays minecraft just as well if not better then my desktop.
Currently installing Half-Life 2 to see how it handles a source game.

how much total ram in the new system? you didn't say.. but the hdd and graphcis card look pretty poor, it almost looks like you downgraded in system quality. also if this is a laptop, they generally dont cool very well and that can slow performance.

how much total ram in the new system? you didn't say.. but the hdd and graphcis card look pretty poor, it almost looks like you downgraded in system quality. also if this is a laptop, they generally dont cool very well and that can slow performance.

8GB RAM

HDD is always up-gradable. Just wondering if I should upgrade the HDD or downgrade to windows 7.

i think you should sell it and buy a gaming laptop. this thing isn't going to benefit from 1 piece being slightly better than it is.

video card may be holding you back more than the rest though. good chance theres WAY too much shit running in windows though, new installs (especially default installs that come with the system) are loaded with bloatware

i think you should sell it and buy a gaming laptop. this thing isn't going to benefit from 1 piece being slightly better than it is.

video card may be holding you back more than the rest though. good chance theres WAY too much shit running in windows though, new installs (especially default installs that come with the system) are loaded with bloatware

yup came with a bunch of crap, been slowly uninstalling it all. But keeping an eye on CPU/GPU/RAM usage and they all seem to be doing awesome. It's just the HDD that ends up running at 100% sometimes.

edit: HL2 runs awesome.

So I think the problem might be with the fact that this specific game requires physx which only really runs properly with a Nvidia card.
*shrug* doesn't sound like you got a good system. hope you didn't pay much for it.

*shrug* doesn't sound like you got a good system. hope you didn't pay much for it.

Just tested Skyrim and it plays it just fine on high settings...Looks like the only drawback is not having physX....
Paid $490 for it refurbished from Newegg. It's about $800 new.
Will be hard pressed to find a laptop with Geforce card within the $500-$600 range...

Physx does not run on any GPU aside from nvidia. If you do not have an nvidia card, physx runs on the CPU. Period. However, if you didn't have the physx runtime installed, and the game didn't provide it for some reason, it's possible you were running the game in some lame built-in software fallback physics mode that sucks.

Physx does not run on any GPU aside from nvidia. If you do not have an nvidia card, physx runs on the CPU. Period. However, if you didn't have the physx runtime installed, and the game didn't provide it for some reason, it's possible you were running the game in some lame built-in software fallback physics mode that sucks.

Well then the driver allows it to run on the CPU then, I guess lol It's the only driver that's worked for me so far.

yup, I tried the one the developer provided with the game, as well as the most current from the Nvidia site. Both failed. Then I found the link to the older one online saying thats how they fixed their issue with physX on AMD, so I gave it a shot and wala! Now the game works! I'm happy :]

unrelated, but nothing could sway me from my gaming desktop, multiple monitors, and fat ass headphones.. this is true gaming love. laptops are just nice for wasting time at school lol

unrelated, but nothing could sway me from my gaming desktop, multiple monitors, and fat ass headphones.. this is true gaming love. laptops are just nice for wasting time at school lol

I got the laptop for traveling.
My desktop will always be my main gaming machine. I need my Logitech G19/G9, beautiful Asus 24" display and surround sound!

Back