Discussion thread about T9k's future

So my question with this is... Why aren't people posting now? Is it an issue of there being too many forums and people not seeing posts? Is it an issue of people not talking to each other in mumble?

Let's figure out what the problem is and define it before we try to solve it.

Let's have some people respond to this post. Whatis stopping you from being more active on Team9000? Be honest, and descriptive. Try to keep comments constructive.
I tend to post infrequently because I rarely have something to say that I consider will add to the discussion. However, I check the forums offline every few hours when I am not in school. Homework tends to be what restricts my game time, as to get enough rest I must usually go to sleep very soon after I finish.

To be honest the only problem with the webpage is that it's pretty much just a link to the forums atm, there's nothing attractive or inviting on it, I loved the way it used to be, with the classic builds slideshow, or pax slideshow, with relevant stuff about servers on the side and goodies like that, I think sort of automatically changing banners of different games we play (incorporated with the t9k logo) which could lead to the relevant section in the forums could be a pretty cool addition...
The forums I think are fine, it's quite nicely incorporated with the overall design of the page and is not complicated at all. (Have you guys actually been around to different forums? Where it's usually run on some sort of crappy base design, filled with countless sections and sub-sections that have no end.)
Oh and a clarification of forum and blog posts on the main page is a must.

So my question with this is... Why aren't people posting now? Is it an issue of there being too many forums and people not seeing posts? Is it an issue of people not talking to each other in mumble?

Let's figure out what the problem is and define it before we try to solve it.

Let's have some people respond to this post. Whatis stopping you from being more active on Team9000? Be honest, and descriptive. Try to keep comments constructive.
This is probably the most relevant question here.
I've been thinking quite a lot about this, and well I think a lot of the members here feel quite similar. I love playing computer games, but I hate anything I do on my computer becoming a chore. Classic was great as with the amount of people you could go on there have some fun and when you had enough just leave (even with higher ranks, you could just leave it to someone else). I think that's what a lot of the people that came here felt and loved, and as the server died out and with the rise of the community based servers, when you're playing on them with the few people that play there, you start to feel a sort of obligation to go on there for their sake, and while I used to like that and spent countless hours online because of it, It's not really my thing any more. My problem is that as I've gotten older I don't like to spend so much time playing games and getting as involved because naturally then you get other people counting on you to be there.

Well anyway, I was 16 when I first joined this place and I've just turned 20 this summer. And surprisingly I'm still here, there is still no other place that has given me such a feeling of belonging, with every massive argument, all the drama and every time the members here have gone out of their way to try and help eachother, this place feels like family... I honestly wish I could have been more involved lately, but I rarely seem to find any topics that spark my interest enough :/
While I'll try to give an input here and there, I'll probably be pretty useless throughout this change I feel is coming. So please figure something out guys, cause I don't feel like leaving here anytime soon ;)

Also, as allways, I apologise for my disregard of any proper sentence structure, or coherent train of thought in this energy drink induced wall of text...

I think an important question has been raised a couple of times here: why is owl?
owl.png

In all seriousness, I don't want to go through the process of getting used to a new gaming community (I'm not really good at change, which might be why I still enjoy Minecraft after all this time), so whether it's alive or dead, I'll stick with Team9000.

I was hoping that was part of the plan.

I think mumble might be the start. So much separation in there. Too much choice. When we had less rooms it kind of "forced" people to be in one that was occupied. People talked more. Now everyone runs away and stays socially awkward in their own corner of mumble.

No i like being socially awkward in my own corner of mumble.

Alright I have updated the op with a proper plan that I just drafted based upon common themes I have seen in the thread

there are a lot of stuff going on and so many people to quote so I guess time to paraphase again.

please note I am not taking any of your posts out of context (all of it is relavent) but I needed to shorten the length of my response.

So, here's my question: What do we want team9000 to be? Do we want the old team9000 back? Do we want team9000 to be a Minecraft community forever? I've seen Team9000 as a lot of things... a streaming site, a blog... a minecraft community. To say that we're in a state of monotony right now is an understatement.

A long time ago I realized that Team9000 was never really meant to become what it was/is. Team9000 has always been wooty's personal playground. It can be seen in the fact that whenever wooty loses interest in whatever it is, it drops off. That's not to blame Wooty at all... He's a volunteer, he does this for free. As I've learned over the years stuff like this doesn't just come together, and it's a lot of fun to come up with cool ideas for a minecraft server when you're super excited about it, but if you're not, it just feels like work. Team9000 wasn't mean to be a job, or a business for anyone, team9000 was meant to be a playground... an experiment.

People are what makes a community, not a website, or a game server, or a mumble server. What binds people together into a community is the passion for something. We've lost our passion, and we need to find something new to bind us together. If we keep grasping at the past instead of moving forward, it will surely destroy us.
I agree 100% this community is defined by it's members, those of us who go out and make the new person feel welcome. those of us who invite these new people into our games and enjoy it. If it wasn't for those people a good chunk of us whould have been gone. Sheesh if my first experience of classic was "oii your a guest go fuck off", instead of the builders caring about my question, I probably wouldn't have joined. This community is awesome, I have formed friendships that I thought I would have never formed. I feel like a chunk of that magic is gone, granted it is hard to explain something when the person faffs off 5 seconds after asking the question. My intent is to use this thread to fix some of these issues that people bring up. Personally I think T9k can do better than a mediocre community. But if we are to succeed we need to to take the steps to success and that means fixing the magic that made the community the community.

So, I've read through the other "lets bring t9k back" threads, which I think equal about two or something, I dunno. Moving on, Yes, t9k is in a slump; no, I don't have any "new" ideas to throw onto the table, or at least ideas that haven't been said already. To me, regardless of minecraft, or tf2, or gamenights, etc. while they added to the..flair, if you will, of t9k, like many older members said to me: "that's not all t9k is."

What i'd like to see happen (as I can't myself cause college and pc stuffs) is Use jersey and Dagamer's idea of remodeling the homepage, move the social media links to where people can see them as soon as they type www.team9000.net. In regards to gamenights, we need someone who has the time, the willingness, the etc to host them. It was said (and god dammit I have horrible memory .-.) that game nights used to be every week, then once a month, to virtually nonexistent. let's bring them back. Update the facebook page as well; hell the most recent thing I saw on it a few days ago was from early 2013. C'mon, that's a bit silly. If there are some willing t9k'ers, bring back streams; I wasn't here for them, so I can't go into details on that. Save for the facebook thing, everything I've said was already said by others, sorry to those who rightfully deserve credit; I have bad memory.
That was me who said that:p (the gamenights issue) I also agree here, we as a community need to do more things to bring in more people and then retain those people. but in order to do that something needs to change, some fire needs to be rekindled and then and only then can we succeed.

Is it just me, or are we so focused on one or two aspects of gaming that we're missing the whole encompassing theme here: we're a Gaming Community. Of course there's so many branches of gaming, there's trends and fads and changing tastes in games, that catering or emphasizing on one would be ridiculous. We're a herd of cats that aren't very coordinated or influenced well, and the occasional laser dot we notice one day may uninterest us the next day.

~Game Nights need to stick around, whether or not someone else is willing to pick up the torch in organizing the calendar and advertising.
~Advertising? I think the other posts have summed up that.
~Streaming/Livecasting. I think some T9kers could do hilarious narrations of broadcasted tournaments. Or have Youtube/Twitch.tv days on a scheduled basis (maybe cycle who is spotlighted, or have collaborations). COULD IT EVEN BE TANGENTIALLY RELATED TO GAMING? YES!
~Clans/Competitive teams within certain games. Whether this is LoL, Super Smash Bros, or Runescape '07.
~Contests! Free Games! Giveaways! Everybody loves Free Stuff!
No and I will admit first that I kinda miss older t9k but that isn't a bad thing, sometimes you need to draw from the old and the new. I like all of your ideas to bring in more people (except the giveaways part like ollee said). but like I said before if we can fix our current issues then we can worry about new ones.

T9k is T9k, it's a random assortment of ~50 active members lately (not including random launch people that are generally pop-ins or elevator source people) that just happen to have many common interests. Whether it's online gaming, boardgames, card games, ponies, streaming, batsu, etc. this is a community built on many things, currently there is a pretty space that divides members into many groups and the 1 common thing that bonded everyone has been nonexistent now. It's just like how real friends will fall off the radar as interests differ or life events changes a lot.
Yea this is a toughy, I know personally I have a lot less time now to even game (I watch the shit out of lets plays though). and I agree as the community gets older more people might lose interest and just leave. I used to think that oh if we just find that one thing everything would be better. I am more of the mind now that just sticking to one thing is silly and we do need to branch out and try new things.

To be honest the only problem with the webpage is that it's pretty much just a link to the forums atm, there's nothing attractive or inviting on it, I loved the way it used to be, with the classic builds slideshow, or pax slideshow, with relevant stuff about servers on the side and goodies like that, I think sort of automatically changing banners of different games we play (incorporated with the t9k logo) which could lead to the relevant section in the forums could be a pretty cool addition...

I've been thinking quite a lot about this, and well I think a lot of the members here feel quite similar. I love playing computer games, but I hate anything I do on my computer becoming a chore. Classic was great as with the amount of people you could go on there have some fun and when you had enough just leave (even with higher ranks, you could just leave it to someone else). I think that's what a lot of the people that came here felt and loved, and as the server died out and with the rise of the community based servers, when you're playing on them with the few people that play there, you start to feel a sort of obligation to go on there for their sake, and while I used to like that and spent countless hours online because of it, It's not really my thing any more. My problem is that as I've gotten older I don't like to spend so much time playing games and getting as involved because naturally then you get other people counting on you to be there.

Also, as always, I apologize for my disregard of any proper sentence structure, or coherent train of thought in this energy drink induced wall of text...
I agree the more new people the better but as I said and others have said as well, lets fix what is broken and then work on more people. Honestly because this is my fault I'm sorry but if I was a new person joining I would see the amount of drama not healthy and pretty much quit. Granted this isn't true drama (at least not as big as the most recent example is) but man is it some serious dirty laundry.

Like I said in the foreword I updated the OP with some new stuff, so hopefully everything is good to go for some solid discussion tomorrow. (work as usual :p)

I've been thinking (and when i say this, only for like, five, ten minutes tops) about the Homepage, more specifically, the "random video of the moment."

Back in 2012, i used to watch virtually every video that was put there, out of interest, curiousity, etc, but as time grew on i stopped paying it any mind. I know i can't speak for everyone at T9K, but for me, i think it has lost its luster.

I was thinking, since a few t9k'ers do let's plays *cough bitchchiba *cough* And i'm working on my music talk show idea thing, etc, we could use the video of the moment to kind of highlight a portion of a video series, maybe set up a schedule of who's video goes when, things like that.

Well, whatcha think? Good idea, or naw?

I've been thinking (and when i say this, only for like, five, ten minutes tops) about the Homepage, more specifically, the "random video of the moment."

Back in 2012, i used to watch virtually every video that was put there, out of interest, curiousity, etc, but as time grew on i stopped paying it any mind. I know i can't speak for everyone at T9K, but for me, i think it has lost its luster.

I was thinking, since a few t9k'ers do let's plays *cough bitchchiba *cough* And i'm working on my music talk show idea thing, etc, we could use the video of the moment to kind of highlight a portion of a video series, maybe set up a schedule of who's video goes when, things like that.

Well, whatcha think? Good idea, or naw?
Kind of a good idea...
but we could use it to embed the live stream into it

Clearly we need more pickles.

I used to be around a lot more, but that was when I was just in college and then when I had a bartending job with convenient hours. Now I have le normal hours jerb (and crazy overtime in the spring), so I don't get as much time to really dive into games.. So.. Wah.

A website/front page makeover isn't gonna do boo. It's not a BAD idea. But it's not gonna revive thingies.

Umm.. my view on the decline. These things might not be the root cause, but they're issues.. to me at least.
- We all DO need to make a conscious effort to post new/interesting things (hopefully gaming related.. news, opinions, scheduling groupage for gamings, etc.) in the forums. Not just expect it to happen. I don't get too active in the forums, because I don't see much new stuff that interests me.. So I'm contributing to the lameness. I need to stop that and post more.
- And we all need to actually be on and talk in Mumble more. Maybe I'm just signing on at terrible times, but the place seems dead a majority of the time I'm on.. so I take my headset off. I only suffer the squish-pain on my earrings when yous guys are chatting! Again.. my leaving due to silence is contributing to silence. I'll try to be on and silly chat more. Will you?
- From what I've seen, we most often do this already, but have been a little stand-off-ish at times too.. so just remember! Make sure to be nice and welcoming to nooblets. Show them how so fun, much cool, we are. Wow.

I don't have any other specific solution ideas at the mo.. but I've been here since the before times.. and I'll be here 'til the end. Whatever changes, better or worse, you're all stuck with me. I don't scare off easy, and I like seeing what Wootybootz cooks up in this playground. He blinded me.. WITH SCIENCE.

There's a way to make it not autoplay in html

if that's the case, then I further my point with the idea of a schedule, which I could create in a convo of all likely participants of their own videos, the streams, my videos, etc.

EDIT: it'd be in a convo, obviously with whomever edits the video of the moment :p

Back