• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Petition to cancel 10/19/2012 wipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

oozinator

Wooty said:
On Friday, 10/19/2012, Team9000 Survival will be wiped and packaged into an archive available for download. The server will be taken offline for a few hours, providing time for some configuration changes.

After the downtime, a new server will come online, focused primarily on creative mode. The existing "town" system will still be in effect, but with a larger block size and no neighbor distance restrictions. All players will have the ability to fly and teleport to coordinates.

If demand for survival exists, a small seperate world will be generated with no towns claims. Access to the small survival world will be whitelisted.

Source: https://www.team9000.net/entries/team9000-survival-changes.1672/

When I saw Wooty's blog post, I was shocked at how sudden the wipe would come. And I bet more than a few of you Survival regulars were too. If you feel this way as well, please make your feelings and thoughts known in this petition.

With the scheduled wipe, this current world will only last from late June to mid-October, a mere 4 months. By comparison, the 1.0 world lasted roughly from late November to late-June (7 months), nearly double the time this world has been around. It would have probably lasted even longer if it weren't for the session-stealing incident. In my opinion, the scheduled wipe is just too soon.

If the wipe is happening due to lack of players, I can attest that seeing 20+ players online is a regular occurrence, which in my opinion is fairly active. I do acknowledge that I don't see many survival vets of the 1.0 world anymore and that many of the active towns are headed by newcomers to T9K. But don't the newcomers deserve a chance as well?

Many of them had just finally saved enough to start up their towns, only to learn that it will all be gone within roughly 2 weeks. When you consider that it takes one person 13 days to earn enough money to purchase the first town plot, 2 weeks seems to be an unreasonably short notice.

While there is no "Haven (1.0 world)" in this world, I still feel that there is a lot of potential in this world with its current player base. New Venice of Caprica is an absolute gem, and my own town (forgive me for tooting my own horn) is on its way to becoming a Mecca. Wiping the world while many active towns are in development doesn't make sense to me.

On the other hand, if it has to do with 1.4 compatibility issues, then that's another story.

As for replacing the survival server with a creative one, I'm skeptical about the popularity of creative. It seemed that the last creative server was only active for the first few days. And when it was active, I heard there were issues with players creating extremely complex redstone circuits, spawning mobs en masse, and exploding chains of dynamite - all things that would severely lag or even crash the server. And on a public server without severe (and frankly, creativity-killing) restrictions on item access, this is very likely to happen at some point.

TL;DR version: A 10/19 wipe is too short notice and premature. Survival is still active and full of potential. It doesn't seem like the creative world that will replace this world will be as popular. If the wipe cannot be canceled, perhaps postpone it to the end of this year, which would effectively make this current world exist for 6 months. This would be more equitable to the amount of time the 1.0 world was around.

When I saw Wooty's blog post, I was shocked at how sudden the wipe would come. And I bet more than a few of you Survival regulars were too. If you feel this way as well, please make your feelings and thoughts known in this petition.

With the scheduled wipe, this current world will only last from late June to mid-October, a mere 4 months. By comparison, the 1.0 world lasted roughly from late November to late-June (7 months), nearly double the time this world has been around. It would have probably lasted even longer if it weren't for the session-stealing incident. In my opinion, the scheduled wipe is just too soon.

If the wipe is happening due to lack of players, I can attest that seeing 20+ players online is a regular occurrence, which in my opinion is fairly active. I do acknowledge that I don't see many survival vets of the 1.0 world anymore and that many of the active towns are headed by newcomers to T9K. But don't the newcomers deserve a chance as well?

Many of them had just finally saved enough to start up their towns, only to learn that it will all be gone within roughly 2 weeks. When you consider that it takes one person 13 days to earn enough money to purchase the first town plot, 2 weeks seems to be an unreasonably short notice.

While there is no "Haven (1.0 world)" in this world, I still feel that there is a lot of potential in this world with its current player base. New Venice of Caprica is an absolute gem, and my own town (forgive me for tooting my own horn) is on its way to becoming a Mecca. Wiping the world while many active towns are in development doesn't make sense to me.

On the other hand, if it has to do with 1.4 compatibility issues, then that's another story.

As for replacing the survival server with a creative one, I'm skeptical about the popularity of creative. It seemed that the last creative server was only active for the first few days. And when it was active, I heard there were issues with players creating extremely complex redstone circuits, spawning mobs en masse, and exploding chains of dynamite - all things that would severely lag or even crash the server. And on a public server without severe (and frankly, creativity-killing) restrictions on item access, this is very likely to happen at some point.

TL;DR version: A 10/19 wipe is too short notice and premature. Survival is still active and full of potential. It doesn't seem like the creative world that will replace this world will be as popular. If the wipe cannot be canceled, perhaps postpone it to the end of this year, which would effectively make this current world exist for 6 months. This would be more equitable to the amount of time the 1.0 world was around.
It could be possible that they'll somehow make it so that we can't spawn mobs. Dynamite is also disabled so that takes care of that problem. But on another note I agree that we should either cancel the wipe or postpone the wipe. Turning our survival server into a creative server doesn't seem too smart considering that we already have a classic server.

Oh also I have seen your town. It is amazing (this may or may not be a biased viewpoint).

I'd like to start of by asking the question that came to mind after reading the original blog post: Woot, have you been overwhelmed by criticism? Because I gotta tell you, even with all the criticism I can think of, the way that the current world is set up is 100x better than the 1.0 world. Remember what spawn looked like in 1.0? It was mined and griefed to hell, even before the 1.0 world was ruined. Now, spawn isn't griefed to hell - it's beautiful. We would never have to worry about new biomes/structures, because the mining world gets wiped every so often *and* the main world gets expanded every new version. The current system is a brilliant long-term strategy, and I sincerely apologize for not giving you props on it.

As for creative mode, I think Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation put it best:
Yahtzee's Words of Wisdom said:
Part of the appeal of building is the effort required to gather materials. That 80 foot golden cock and balls wouldn't be so satisfyingly turgid if it weren't for the entire continent you had to turn upside down to find all the ore. And that's what sets it apart from other creativity toys like Gary's Mod: if you can just clap your hands and summon 50 explosive barrels to pile ragdolls around, then the spectacle is as fulfilling as eating your own snot. Minecraft is a responsible parent - it knows you'll swiftly get bored with your golden cock and balls if it just gives you one, so it pays you 5 dollars a week to wash it's car so you can save up and gain an appreciation for value - and when you finally have your golden cock and balls, you'll love it all the more.

Edit: Also, for the neighbor building restrictions, why not make those plots more expensive to buy, instead of impossible to acquire? Just an idea.

I for one would like to know like to know more about the reasons behind the wipe. If we knew the reasons, like major update, massive server edits, etc., we might be able to prepare the argument better.

TL;DR

Wipe. Make bigger world. Large Biomes.
Well, If there is a wipe coming, I would at least like it if we still have a survival server. Survival makes a challenge. Now, I wouldn't mind a Creative server, or even a (restricted to prevent griefing) PvP server, but Survival is my favorite kind of server due to it's challenge and fairness.

I apologize if I'm the only one thinking about a PvP server. It's just that I've only been in one, which was fun until hackers went into peoples towns and created a bomb to destroy entire cities. I like the excitement of having to watch your back in between cities though. Make things funner.

EDIT: Another big thing I like is the previously stated large biomes. I like having gigantic deserts and seemingly endless jungles.

Just some general comments...

You can't "force" an admin to do anything.
One (of many) examples... destroying the desert east of the Mining World portal did not force a restart of Mining World.
Players can't make ultimatums (other than, do X and I quit playing).
It's the admin's decision in a case like this.
Heck, were I the admin and players did things to "force" my hand, I'd be more inclined to ignore them and say "deal with it".

Threats to "do what I want or I'm quitting" are likewise fruitless.
Unless you're Wooty's personal friend and he has a vested interest in your being mollified anyone's quitting is, to be frank, irrelevant.
There were regulars before, they aren't here.
There are new regulars, they are here.
There will be new regulars in future builds even if everyone currently playing quit.
With sufficient low players or other life factors Wooty could eventually just drop the game altogether but that's his call, not ours.
So threats to quit are pointless. Constructive feedback, however, is good. It lets Wooty know what the current player-base likes/liked.

If Wooty wants a server wipe and restart, it's happening.
I'll be sad to see this world go.
I'm glad to know it's coming... but knowing it's soon does take the wind out of my sails a bit too. I don't see a reason to push for accomplishing anything when I know it's being destroyed soon. That's the way the cookie crumbles, though, and it's fair enough.

Wooty did say he may open a small survival server. At best there's very little a petition would accomplish. Sufficient feedback, provided correctly, will let Wooty know what the majority of players liked seeing and may help encourage similar implementation in the next world/s/.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of creative. I prefer the challenge, albeit minor, of a survival server. I liked having a server without teleports giving scope to the land by dint of necessary travel. If you built something, you earned every block (one way or another). If you accomplished something, you accomplished it. Creative just doesn't feel like that to me at all. So if we only have a creative server I may check in (because of friends) but I likely won't be a regular. This isn't a "Do what I want or I'm quitting" it's just feedback indicating my preferences and knowing my play style. Who knows, maybe I'll log in to creative, find I like what he's done with it, and stay. That would be a nice surprise but I'm not expecting it. I just haven't seen a creative server yet that makes me want to play. With luck, Wooty has enough feedback and decides to give us a survival server. We'll see.

If the petition fails I hope that we can at least keep the same world. We all devoted so much time to this world and it would be a shame if all our work was wiped.

I think the wipe has to be canceled. This is by far the best world.
Ummm...Were you here for the world before this one? It was pretty awesome. Plus, I wasn't around for the world before that, so I don't know what it was like.

In my opinion, I think a creative server's fine as long as there is also a survival server that's decently sized.

Ummm...Were you here for the world before this one? It was pretty awesome. Plus, I wasn't around for the world before that, so I don't know what it was like.

In my opinion, I think a creative server's fine as long as there is also a survival server that's decently sized.
I've been here for every single world since the server first went up in alpha. I've gone through every single wipe and every single change since the beginning of T9K Minecraft Survival Servers. And I'm not the only one, plenty others have been there as well. They've all been great maps and they've all had their moments. The only thing that gets me down about the upcoming wipe is the length of time between it and the last one, which wasnt a lot at all.

I stand by what I said, information or clarifications on the upcoming wipe would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR
Woot does what he wants. Shut up and watch.
Not entirely fair to slam dissatisfied people for voicing out their feelings. It may be woot whose word is final but I'm sure he would be interested to know in what the community feels. Telling people not to voice out an opinion is pretty oppressive imo.

Sorry for my frustration, but I just don't understand why this is being done. I don't see anything wrong with the current setup, at least not anything warranting such an extreme change. In the long run, creative just isn't as fun as survival.

In the long run, creative just isn't as fun as survival.

Agreed,
1) Day 1, Played Creative on T9K, liked the idea
2) Day 21, Got to 'builder' level or whatever was just below engineer
3) Day 22 Bought Survival
4) Over a Year later, Played on creative once since then (survival server was down).

Me, I personally have no interest in any creative servers.

Just some general comments...

You can't "force" an admin to do anything.
One (of many) examples... destroying the desert east of the Mining World portal did not force a restart of Mining World.
Players can't make ultimatums (other than, do X and I quit playing).
It's the admin's decision in a case like this.
Heck, were I the admin and players did things to "force" my hand, I'd be more inclined to ignore them and say "deal with it".

Threats to "do what I want or I'm quitting" are likewise fruitless.
Unless you're Wooty's personal friend and he has a vested interest in your being mollified anyone's quitting is, to be frank, irrelevant.
There were regulars before, they aren't here.
There are new regulars, they are here.
There will be new regulars in future builds even if everyone currently playing quit.
With sufficient low players or other life factors Wooty could eventually just drop the game altogether but that's his call, not ours.
So threats to quit are pointless. Constructive feedback, however, is good. It lets Wooty know what the current player-base likes/liked.

If Wooty wants a server wipe and restart, it's happening.
I'll be sad to see this world go.
I'm glad to know it's coming... but knowing it's soon does take the wind out of my sails a bit too. I don't see a reason to push for accomplishing anything when I know it's being destroyed soon. That's the way the cookie crumbles, though, and it's fair enough.

Wooty did say he may open a small survival server. At best there's very little a petition would accomplish. Sufficient feedback, provided correctly, will let Wooty know what the majority of players liked seeing and may help encourage similar implementation in the next world/s/.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of creative. I prefer the challenge, albeit minor, of a survival server. I liked having a server without teleports giving scope to the land by dint of necessary travel. If you built something, you earned every block (one way or another). If you accomplished something, you accomplished it. Creative just doesn't feel like that to me at all. So if we only have a creative server I may check in (because of friends) but I likely won't be a regular. This isn't a "Do what I want or I'm quitting" it's just feedback indicating my preferences and knowing my play style. Who knows, maybe I'll log in to creative, find I like what he's done with it, and stay. That would be a nice surprise but I'm not expecting it. I just haven't seen a creative server yet that makes me want to play. With luck, Wooty has enough feedback and decides to give us a survival server. We'll see.

In my opinion, petitions aren't a coercive action but more like a plea. The power is ultimately in Wooty's hands, but if there is enough of the Survival community that cares for this world, maybe he'll reconsider or rework the decision out of sympathy.

If it's only my town that dislikes this decision, a wipe is understandable. The feelings of members from just one town should not influence the decision. But the last time I was on survival, I saw several active towns and players, going about with making trades, partnerships, intercity rails, and so on. Usually wipes come when most of the towns in this world have become stagnant, when few players bother to log in anymore, or when some great emergency has occurred. I believe that neither of those things have happened thus far. A good number of players in this world are still active, so you can understand my bewilderment when I learned about the upcoming wipe.

If my memory serves me well, when I first started hearing serious calls for a wipe of the 1.0 world, Haven was close to being fully developed and even then a wipe was not implemented. The 1.0 server at the time roughly had the same level of activity. As a few of you already noted, without further explanation for the reasons of the wipe, it all seems quite bizarre and uncharacteristic.

An explanation would assuage some concerns and help us see the reason behind it. It'd might even help a few of us come to terms with the decision, if the wipe proceeds as scheduled.

I can not add anymore to this other than I love the survival server and all the friends in the community that I have made, but should it get to be just a creative server, my team9000 days will be over, as i have my own private server as many others do.. I have been a dedicated player on the survival server for little while, now I have made nice structures, and helped many with plots and designs I am apart of Brighton Township and have My own Town Akihabara Island. (looks like crap now because out of frustration from news today I went lil rage on my lil island I will fix later when i can get on.) also I'm in charge of about 6 condo plots that i help people on. and have made many new people friendly structures and food farms in the mining world to help.

If i wanted to play in creative mode I would simply play on classic server or jump on a private server. I believe the survival server community should have say and input on the things going on with the server as we are the ones playing there. Out of respect for team9000 I know what kind of time and patience and funding it takes to run a server "has some experience" so I understand if this is the best choice for you to make.

but keep in mind please that, a lot of people here in the community have given many many many hours dedicated to this server and its community not only with their creative structures but basic community support of giving and caring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back