Star Citizen

Final crowdfunding numbers: $6,238,563 raised from 89,668 backers

Fun times were had by all, especially Commander Lamp.

mlSm8.png

HkIUh.png

ri6Efh.jpg

XMvNCh.jpg

VG0Ezh.jpg

1MK9zh.jpg

Zszw8h.jpg

JmO1s.png

S1WyFh.jpg

61tfgh.jpg

zZ6Hwh.jpg

iKRjM.png

w8RaF.png

bL1P1.png

The whole event was illuminating.

Although to one Dev (Ben), it was all a bit too much.
snoozecam.png

TQwc1.jpg

XRem6.gif

For anyone that's interested, there's a 25 hour archive of the entire event -> Here

And for those of you wondering what we got for raising 6 million -> Simple Reddit summary

And yes, it is confirmed, Commander Lamp will be in-game as will Space Lube!
7hyBS.jpg

9bsXz.jpg

Those of you who like spreadsheets, enjoy known ship specs -> Here

If you want to know more about the statistics of the funding campaign -> Here

I am so glad we hit $6 million as the game music loving part of me really likes the idea of a full orchestral score!

Those of you who like spreadsheets, enjoy known ship specs -> Here

If you want to know more about the statistics of the funding campaign -> Here

*shakes fist at work PC*'

Damn you work network restrictions! I can't see Google docs! I'm going to sit here and writhe my hands all day until I can see this spreadsheet! Must...see...spreadsheeeeeeeeeet...

This sounds a bit like if EVE-Online actually let you control the ships freely instead of just telling them where to go.
I'm still waiting for Homeworld 3 though... ;(;(;(

I wonder if I can carry cargo while robbing other people's cargo while defending cargo freight trains carrying cargo.... then fail some objectives while keeping worthwhile ones alive. Then my faction decides to do something else, then I swap teams just to double cross them then anarchy, then capitalize on the confusion until eventually I tire out and run back to base with whatever I got.

It's the ultimate sandbox game amirite?

I wonder if I can carry cargo while robbing other people's cargo while defending cargo freight trains carrying cargo.... then fail some objectives while keeping worthwhile ones alive. Then my faction decides to do something else, then I swap teams just to double cross them then anarchy, then capitalize on the confusion until eventually I tire out and run back to base with whatever I got.

It's the ultimate sandbox game amirite?
Cargoception.

And yes.

Cargoception.

And yes.

And this can happen at any one time randomly, or when the mood strikes me. I don't want to fly to Planet X just to go rouge or to Station Z to join some fleet. I also want to be a civilian/bandit/defender type whenever I feel which role is the most effective. If there's too many defenders/civilians the prize becomes too small and not worth anyone's time, they can go rouge too if they wanna... or flee because its not worth doing this mess.

If I had to stick to one role for simply one session that defeats the purpose of a sandbox game emphasizing freedom to do whatever, whenever.

And this can happen at any one time randomly, or when the mood strikes me. I don't want to fly to Planet X just to go rouge or to Station Z to join some fleet. I also want to be a civilian/bandit/defender type whenever I feel which role is the most effective. If there's too many defenders/civilians the prize becomes too small and not worth anyone's time, they can go rouge too if they wanna... or flee because its not worth doing this mess.

If I had to stick to one role for simply one session that defeats the purpose of a sandbox game emphasizing freedom to do whatever, whenever.
Woah. Good idea, man.

I <3 that Constellation and I'm glad they decided to let people keep pledging as I wanted to do before campaign was over, but all my monies goes to stuff like gas, tv, glasses, haircut.

I will most likely pledge as a Freelancer (ship looks so sweet) or a Rear Admiral so I can fly that sweet ass Constellation, which 80% of the dam population will most likely have. :|

I hope this game turns up to be one of the most epic space sims ever. Crossing my fingers.

Bumping due to news, everyone!

Star Citizen has now become the most-successful crowdfunding venture, ever. Star Citizen has now out-pledged Project Pebble to raise $10.6 million. According to the article that amount spread over the 195,000 backers averages out to about $54 per person.

I think I have an idea what we could use our old MC server for someday in the future...

Bumping due to news, everyone!

Star Citizen has now become the most-successful crowdfunding venture, ever. Star Citizen has now out-pledged Project Pebble to raise $10.6 million. According to the article that amount spread over the 195,000 backers averages out to about $54 per person.

I think I have an idea what we could use our old MC server for someday in the future...
I saw that article earlier today. On another topic, if we're lucky, we might even be able to host our own servers in December when alpha goes live!

Here is another article from Joystiq. The article is an interview with Chris Roberts where he states that the cost of developing a spaceship in-game is about $35,000USD. The larger carrier cost up to $150,000USD. A single figher in-game contains over 300,000 polygons and the large Bengal class carriers will have over 7million polygons. The article does say that today's games have about 10k polygons for characters and 30k for vehicles, just to give you perspective how detailed these ships are going to be in this game. The article goes on to talk about how RSI started working on the game concept and their idea for generating interest and profit to continue supporting the game (here's a hint: Think Minecraft).

I'm going to need a new rig before this game come out in 2014. No doubt about it.

Here is another article from Joystiq. The article is an interview with Chris Roberts where he states that the cost of developing a spaceship in-game is about $35,000USD. The larger carrier cost up to $150,000USD. A single figher in-game contains over 300,000 polygons and the large Bengal class carriers will have over 7million polygons. The article does say that today's games have about 10k polygons for characters and 30k for vehicles, just to give you perspective how detailed these ships are going to be in this game. The article goes on to talk about how RSI started working on the game concept and their idea for generating interest and profit to continue supporting the game (here's a hint: Think Minecraft).

I'm going to need a new rig before this game come out in 2014. No doubt about it.
As long as you can run Crysis 3, you should be able to play Star Citizen. (at least for now) The thing is, when the full version actually rolls around in 2014, they'll probably be using something like Cry Engine 3.1, so you can't be completely sure. Besides, the way technology changes, there's really no safe bet that far off. I'm just hoping the rig I bought not to long ago holds up...

As long as you can run Crysis 3, you should be able to play Star Citizen. (at least for now) The thing is, when the full version actually rolls around in 2014, they'll probably be using something like Cry Engine 3.1, so you can't be completely sure. Besides, the way technology changes, there's really no safe bet that far off. I'm just hoping the rig I bought not to long ago holds up...

Currently, I cannot play Crysis 3. I can play The Witcher 2, but at something like 3FPS, making it basically unplayable.

So.... how are you guys enjoying the new site design? As fancy as it is, it sure does run smoothly.

Back