• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

The Arena

Zahldar

I have volunteered to build an arena for the server. The plan is, from what Wooty told me, to make a new world for an arena (The End will be used, presumably.), where it will serve as a combat area for bosses such as Withers and Ender dragons. Complete creative freedom has been granted to me; but having considered that this is for the server and everyone in it, I'd like input from the community.

[collapse='Explanation of current plans here.']As of now, I'm pursuing a sort of 'medieval' theme. The outer walls, at 200 blocks long and wide, are made of Stone bricks. Each wall is nine bricks high, but I hope to raise that to thirty-one; the reasoning being that a massive wall would more easily give any players a sense of how large the arena is while making it difficult to build their way out. The ground will mainly be grass. I also hope to have a sort of 'mountain' directly in the center with some sort of castle or keep next to it. Perhaps a few scattered huts and/or trees. All of this I hope will give a sense of volume to the arena, instead of just sticking people into a flat map. After all, vertical variety is extremely important in a map of any kind.

Ideally, the castle will be in ruins so that while it won't completely shelter players from harm, it should give them a slight feeling of safety. Of course, it could easily become a death trap when fighting the Ender dragon. It will be accessible to the Wither skeleton as well. A few broken walls with staircases leading to them should give players a great place to stage an arrow-based assault on both the Wither and Ender dragon; but if you're hit and fall down, you can kiss your behind goodbye.

From there, a few scattered huts in loose village formation. Maybe a few trees.[/collapse]

My plans are, however, subject to change. I may scrap them completely, depending on what the community decides.

So feel free to drop any suggestions in this thread, and discuss them. Even if it involves a completely different idea than what I'm currently going with, just toss it out. And if you'd like to help with the build, just ask. I'll need all the help I can get. If you want to see the build for yourself, just use /warp 353 while in the Creative world.

This would be pretty amazing. You and your friends could go do a boss fight whenever they want!

Also, a gauntlet/survival arena for rating would be interesting. PvP seasons and end-season rewards.. Rated Team battles on custom PvP areas?

All of these would be very cool to see. Not sure if it'd be too much work or if people would like these ideas..

I'd like to see a pvp aspect brought into the server.

Personally, I'm not a fan of medieval, it's overdone and lost its appeal a long time ago. What isn't done often is modern day themes. Perhaps do something along those lines?

This would be pretty amazing. You and your friends could go do a boss fight whenever they want!

Also, a gauntlet/survival arena for rating would be interesting. PvP seasons and end-season rewards.. Rated Team battles on custom PvP areas?

All of these would be very cool to see. Not sure if it'd be too much work or if people would like these ideas..

Team battles are something I've longed after for a long, long time. Also, rated PvP would be pretty cool. However, It'd take a lot of work to implement. I'm sure people would be interested, though.

I'd like to see a pvp aspect brought into the server.

Personally, I'm not a fan of medieval, it's overdone and lost its appeal a long time ago. What isn't done often is modern day themes. Perhaps do something along those lines?

I, too, would like there to be PvP on the T9k server, but I don't know if it's to be implemented with this arena. I'll ask about it, though.

I can understand what you say about medieval. It's just the first thing that came to mind when I started building. I'm not sure of how I could implement a "modern day" theme. Could you provide an example of some sort?

For PvP arenas, we could have maps from other games such as Battle Creek from Halo and other cool familiar scenarios.

An airship battle, similar to the fight between The Skybreaker and Orgrim's Hammer would be amazing too.

I'm trying to think of maps that won't require a large render distance because nothing is worse than having low FPS in a fight.

Team battles are something I've longed after for a long, long time. Also, rated PvP would be pretty cool. However, It'd take a lot of work to implement. I'm sure people would be interested, though.

I, too, would like there to be PvP on the T9k server, but I don't know if it's to be implemented with this arena. I'll ask about it, though.

I can understand what you say about medieval. It's just the first thing that came to mind when I started building. I'm not sure of how I could implement a "modern day" theme. Could you provide an example of some sort?
Something like this (survival games 5 & 2)
1-5_4453335.jpg

Clocktower_2155355.jpg

1-5_4453335.jpg

Clocktower_2155355.jpg
For PvP arenas, we could have maps from other games such as Battle Creek from Halo and other cool familiar scenarios.

An airship battle, similar to the fight between The Skybreaker and Orgrim's Hammer would be amazing too.

I'm trying to think of maps that won't require a large render distance because nothing is worse than having low FPS in a fight.
I like the idea of an airship battle.

{pictures}

Okay, I see what you mean now. I certainly like the idea more than the medieval one. I'll see what I can do, but I can't promise much; my expertise does not lie within contemporary architecture.

I like the idea of an airship battle.

Okay, I see what you mean now. I certainly like the idea more than the medieval one. I'll see what I can do, but I can't promise much; my expertise does not lie within contemporary architecture.

oohLw0P.jpg

Halo CE's Battle Creek.. This is a classic.

QMZyhTg.jpg

Blade's Edge Arena from Warcraft.

Remember, you're fighting a wither/enderdragon. I'd suggest something open.
Enderdragon is better to have open space, Wither....not as much. I find it easier to fight the Wither if I have a lot of obstacles to block its line of fire.

I think the server should hold like annual Spleef tournaments that could be like every year and we could crown a winner, and people could get some sort of coolish thing.

Remember, you're fighting a wither/enderdragon. I'd suggest something open.
Enderdragon is better to have open space, Wither....not as much. I find it easier to fight the Wither if I have a lot of obstacles to block its line of fire.

Well, sticking with the idea of a modern theme here: why not have a cluster of buildings situated close enough together to provide lots of hiding room from the Wither; while at the same time, have some open spaces outside of those buildings to provide some room to stretch the legs (read: run the fuck away) while fighting the Ender Dragon?
Perhaps like the Central Park of New York?

Anyone reminded of the Mortal Kombat arena in Firethorn/Xanxul back in the Alpha days? Regardless, this is interesting. I'd say something that is open yet closed, not too large yet not too small.

Anyone reminded of the Mortal Kombat arena in Firethorn/Xanxul back in the Alpha days? Regardless, this is interesting. I'd say something that is open yet closed, not too large yet not too small.
or the Coliseum of Eagle Pass...damn that was a big project at its time.

Back