The Linux Thread

BackTack Linux

Pretty much the hackiest distro. It's got all kinds of stuff like wifi crackers and password crackers, and it can run stuff like tor and HOIC/LOIC.

Revival.jpg

Bump for creativity in the form of a freakin' different OS.

For those who don't understand how much of a concept this supposed "Linux" is that some speak of, here's a diagram to help you understand.
[WARNING: GIANT PICTURE AHEAD.]

https://t9k.me/1Cx

Thread Watching.png

Jazz007, post: 244747 said: <br />View attachment 109868<br />Bump for creativity in the form of a freakin' different OS.<br /><br />For those who don't understand how much of a concept this supposed "Linux" is that some speak of, here's a diagram to help you understand.<br />[WARNING: GIANT PICTURE AHEAD.]<br /><br /><b>https://t9k.me/1Cx</b><br /><br />View attachment 109869
<br />That picture was so huge it slowed my Linux Mint to a crawl when I tried zooming in and out. lol Anyways, I've abandoned all other forms and I'm now Linux Mint 12 with Cinnamon. I liked Gnome because it wasn't as buggy as the KDE version however I chose cinnamon for its customizability. So I'm now halfway between Gnome and KDE. Gnome styling with some KDE customizability. I suggest to mcfar, get rid of Ubuntu completely and come over the the Mintside! BTW everything you can use in Ubuntu works in Mint. Mint is based off Ubuntu... it's pretty much Ubuntu the way it should've been. xD

As I said in the original post... I am using Mint, and it has issues with my laptop especially with the switchable graphics and the battery life (or possibly it isn't working out the battery percentage correctly)

Oh... derp... i don't know why I thought you said Ubuntu. Is it Gnome, KDE, 201204 or LXDE? I had a bunch of video card problems with KDE and random error messages.
I'm using Mint 12 with Cinnamon!

Oh and concerning your original post. I'm thinking about running mint on my laptop too. I'll let you know if I run into similar issues and what I need to do in order to fix it. I have integrated ATI graphics, so I won't be able to help much there, but possible the battery life issue? I dunno. You posted your problems on the linux mint forums?

The battery life issues are unfortunately not isolated to Linux Mint. All distros I have tried encounter the same problem. Myself and one of the lecturers I used to have are investigating what is going on so I'll keep you posted.

Hey, I am not a Linux-user, but I'd still love to try it. Can you guys give me any tutorial or help which version to run and how to have it on a second partition next to windows so I still have my windows? :)

I've always <3'd linux. It made me happy, I could make the terminal green text on a black background and feel like a real hacker, and I never, ever, had to use a mouse. That was cool. It made me fall in love with the console.

However I've always had to jump to windows for purposes of games. Diablo 3 ain't gonna run on mah linux as well as it's gonna run on Win7. So it's always been a small war between the powers that be.

Two things happened recently that's swapped me over to Fedora for good (or for a long long time). One, my desktop plays all my games. It runs windows because it can, and it has so much power that Windows has to try really, really hard to do something stupid to make my computer even blink. So, my laptop is free. Two, I really don't like Windows 8. And I tried to like it, I really did, but somewhere in the beta, they went horribly wrong. So, no more Windows on my laptop.

Also Unity looks pretty crap, nom nom Gnome3.

So here I am, on my Beefy Miracle laptop, overcoming my unique Optimus problems with a combination of Bumblebee and hacked together CUDA where every start up is a magical hunt through my hard drive for graphics drivers. I'm running Pentadactyl (look it up, best Firefox total conversion mod *ever*) on one desktop, and running my Wine apps in the corner. Oh, I also managed to get DirectX11 running on this thing.

Linux: Making the average user feel like some kind of 90's superhacker-god-cyperpunk-superhero mashup since 1991

tl;dr: Get linux, Use it, make it work, make it your own. The sense of accomplishment that you will get is worth far more than a copy of Win7 Ultimate is supposed to be.

I'm still having trouble with the switchable graphics on my HP Pavilion dv7-6b01tx when running any build of Linux. Also it seems that the battery life when using Linux is half of what it is when I use Windows....

I'm still having trouble with the switchable graphics on my HP Pavilion dv7-6b01tx when running any build of Linux. Also it seems that the battery life when using Linux is half of what it is when I use Windows....

Yeah, if it's Nvida, you're likely to be suffering the horrors of the Optimus bug, but thankfully it *is* solveable.

If it's ATI.... God help you.

EDIT:

Come to think of it, you may be able to use Bumblebee and BBswitch to operate your graphics card. That'll solve your power issues.... I'll start looking into that for you :p I like LinuxQuests

EDIT 2:

Nope. However looks like your problem is known of, and they are looking into it. Try here

Yeah, if it's Nvida, you're likely to be suffering the horrors of the Optimus bug, but thankfully it *is* solveable.

If it's ATI.... God help you.

EDIT:

Come to think of it, you may be able to use Bumblebee and BBswitch to operate your graphics card. That'll solve your power issues.... I'll start looking into that for you :p I like LinuxQuests

EDIT 2:

Nope. However looks like your problem is known of, and they are looking into it. Try here

This is why I keep saying....HP and AMD can go fuck themselves in the ass with a stick!

I hope they find a solution soon as it is really frustrating to have to use Windows when I don't need to be and could be using Linux :(

Mnaaaah. I don't particularily like Nvidia, or Intel. I've always considered them to ship inferior product to AMD/ATI. Just because I have a 990X in mah PC don't mean I support them, if AMD built something as good as it it would run cooler. Much cooler. Problem is they didn't, cause somebody in AMD seems to have derped up big time: "nah who really wants uber fast processors? We'll just sit here where it's safe." :mad:

Also you cannot deny that Crossfire is better than SLI~~

However I will give, that up until recently, Intel and Nvidia have been good for Linuxland.

Also has anyone tried out the LLVM and Clang yet? Sooooo much better than GCC. :D

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PARM - in regards to raspberry pi

also I noticed taco guy said microsoft should port microsoft office to linux? Why libreoffice or openoffice works just fine. I even use openoffice if I'm using windows. MO pisses me off with its silly menu setup.
Lol, I do use openoffice a bit, but I don't prefer it =/ Personal preference.

no cc coding for me.
however I'm planning on trying out the latest fedora soon.
also, amd video card drivers are a pain in the ass even in windows. You have any idea how many times an update has broken things or made my games look like crazy shit all of the sudden? Why on earth do you have to uninstall the driver completely, possibly run driversweeper, then install the new driver for amd? Nvidia is just download install, it's updated, have fun without conflicts or broken shit.
Woaaaah, you are *way* behind the times there. Currently AMD has a rolling patch system that works flawlessly. Every now and then it'll say "Yo, update, catch" and install seamlessly onto the old ones. I have never had a problem with my 6770's
also, does it really matter if it runs cooler when it lasts for years and years and outperforms the comparable ati/amd card? not in my book. I call inferior things that are slower or that tend to fuck up for no reason at all because you installed an update. not things that run hot, my car likes to run hot, and it's a Honda. Call that inferior? you're nuts, it's 21 years old, with over 220k miles and it still gets 30mpg and runs like nobody's business.
Uhm, when you're overclocking the hell out of everything and running your machine to within an inch of it's life... yeah it does :D See, I'm not just running a hot honda around the usual grind, I am running it through the most gruelling and severe test track every day of it's horrible, misbegotten existence.
Yes you could say I am a royal bitch to my poor computer. But it was built for precisely this purpose :p I'm sad I had to use an intel card, because, seriously, it runs hot as is, and it's a constant battle to provide the cooling required to keep it below dangerous temperatures when overclocked past 4.2GHz (It runs at 3.5GHz baseline), but the black sticker is cool so, I'll stick with that.
Also, Crossfire *is* better than SLI. I've tried both, I know what works better with more games :p

But yeah, my rebuttal endeth.

Back