Game development

Believe it or not, I've been working on a little interactive map in RPG Maker for my RPG sessions in my own custom D&D 3.5 Universe and the such.

6dbGLLE.png

overworld

SoSDH6H.png

fancy bar thing

528VsxA.png

unfinished cul-de-sac thing

...yeah. I've been busy. >.>

edit: fixed some links

Last edited:
Believe it or not, I've been working on a little interactive map in RPG Maker for my RPG sessions in my own custom D&D 3.5 Universe and the such.

0226-170902.png

overworld

0226-171009.png

fancy bar thing

0226-171142.png

unfinished cul-de-sac thing

...yeah. I've been busy. >.>
Hang on, I've seen those before. Do you stream making those on Picarto by any chance?
Also, looks pretty rad!

I want to get a couple of opinions from you guys and maybe even ask a couple of other things about the Station game I've been writing.

What kinda style do you see it being in? I'm hoping to do it 3D, but I'm still conflicted in what style and if I should make it detailed/realistic or stylized. I, personally, am a fan of realistic 3D but I'm not making the game for myself. So I want to see what you guys think is the best style.

What things/additions do you think would make the game better that I've not mentioned/missed? I like to know what other people like in a game so I don't just make a game for myself. It makes the whole game-making process easier and then the audience gets exactly what they ordered.

Would anyone be willing to help make this game? I need a programmer, 3D artist and maybe a concept artist. If the game gets popular and sells, those that helped will have their name on it and get a share of the profits.

And last but not least, would you T9K lads like to eventually Alpha and Beta test the game? If it does get made, people need to test it and since it will be made by someone/people from the community, you guys are the best monkeys for the job.

I want to get into video game development. That's what I'm going to college for (that, and my backup as a computer programmer). I have the Unreal Development Kit and RPG Maker VX Ace Demo Version (Broke ;() I was messing with the RPG Maker, but there are a couple of things I wanted...

1. I want some more customized tilesets. Stuff from more modern times, Steampunk, futuristic, and more fantasy (I want to focus horror first, but I want a wide variety of options)

2. I want to figure out if I can alter the battle system to more real time. The battle system included is honestly not near my favorite.

I want to get into video game development. That's what I'm going to college for (that, and my backup as a computer programmer). I have the Unreal Development Kit and RPG Maker VX Ace Demo Version (Broke ;() I was messing with the RPG Maker, but there are a couple of things I wanted...

1. I want some more customized tilesets. Stuff from more modern times, Steampunk, futuristic, and more fantasy (I want to focus horror first, but I want a wide variety of options)

2. I want to figure out if I can alter the battle system to more real time. The battle system included is honestly not near my favorite.

1) If you really want good tilesets, you're better off shelling out the cash for the Official DLC Resource packs, also on Steam. I have the futuristic one and it's very pretty. Otherwise, most resources you'll find are on these forums. They're the official forums and a lot of people have posted a bunch of stuff on there that they've made. Remember to credit them when you're done, though.

Make sure to nab as many resources as you can and make notes about where they were/who to credit because they go "down for maintenance" often.

2) As for your battle system, I can't really help you there. I haven't fiddled much with the battle system or plan to, really, so you're on your own for that. I'm sure there's got to be something in these forums, but-... I don't think RPG Maker's engine is built well enough for that. But I dunno, like I said! It runs off of Ruby, so if you know how to code that, well, there you go, I guess. (I don't. >.> )

Just letting you guy's and gal's know, Unreal Engine 4 is now completely free. However, If projects are released commercially, creators must pay a 5 percent royalty on gross revenue following the first $3,000 per product, per quarter.

Edit: If you think about it, 5% per quarter is 20% of annual sales. So, take that as you will.

Just letting you guy's and gal's know, Unreal Engine 4 is now completely free. However, If projects are released commercially, creators must pay a 5 percent royalty on gross revenue following the first $3,000 per product, per quarter.

Edit: If you think about it, 5% per quarter is 20% of annual sales. So, take that as you will.
That is not how percentages work...
To clarify Kerzyte's declaration: It's still only 5% annually.

5% of one-fourth of your annual profit is obtained per quarter. Multiply 5% * (1/4) gets you 1/80 of your annual profit per quarter. Multiply that 4 times a year and you get 4/80 = 1/20 = 5%.

I want to get a couple of opinions from you guys and maybe even ask a couple of other things about the Station game I've been writing.

What kinda style do you see it being in? I'm hoping to do it 3D, but I'm still conflicted in what style and if I should make it detailed/realistic or stylized. I, personally, am a fan of realistic 3D but I'm not making the game for myself. So I want to see what you guys think is the best style.

What things/additions do you think would make the game better that I've not mentioned/missed? I like to know what other people like in a game so I don't just make a game for myself. It makes the whole game-making process easier and then the audience gets exactly what they ordered.

Would anyone be willing to help make this game? I need a programmer, 3D artist and maybe a concept artist. If the game gets popular and sells, those that helped will have their name on it and get a share of the profits.

And last but not least, would you T9K lads like to eventually Alpha and Beta test the game? If it does get made, people need to test it and since it will be made by someone/people from the community, you guys are the best monkeys for the job.
I'm looking into taking up 3D modeling and was wondering if you still have your concept art. The links aren't working so i can't see them but i'd love to give it a shot and see what i could possibly do with it.

Granted I'm just starting out but I'm a quick study. I have Zbrush and Blender to work with. Both very capable programs for different parts of the process.

I'm looking into taking up 3D modeling and was wondering if you still have your concept art. The links aren't working so i can't see them but i'd love to give it a shot and see what i could possibly do with it.

Granted I'm just starting out but I'm a quick study. I have Zbrush and Blender to work with. Both very capable programs for different parts of the process.
I removed the pictures after a major thing happened on another site. Didn't want the shit storm getting to T9K.

There weren't any concepts for the station game tho. I haven't been able to draw anything great in a while, but it's all pretty simple stuff.
the 3d stuff would just be hallways and the characters.
Have you got any pictures of anything you've done?

I removed the pictures after a major thing happened on another site. Didn't want the shit storm getting to T9K.

There weren't any concepts for the station game tho. I haven't been able to draw anything great in a while, but it's all pretty simple stuff.
the 3d stuff would just be hallways and the characters.
Not yet, but i should hopefully have something by tonight. Hopefully being the key word here lol.

I used to mess around with Blender's game engine. Now that I think of it, this was a long time ago - 8-9 years. The logic nodes they used made it easy to write simple behavior without actually using any Python (though you can use Python as well).

Just discovered this thread, but my thoughts are that a small shop (1 person or maybe a few collaboratively); it doesn't have to be all latest greatest technology. 2d or 3d isometric is still viable. I mean look at what Spiderweb has been able to do just by having a strong story and choose your destiny type game flow. Its the story line that usually hooks players and keeps them coming back. I have played the Avernum series and I can say that they are fun even if the graphics are dated. Offering the link more as a suggestion than trying to sell their line of games

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/

Last edited:
Well, from just loading up the program for the first time today, and not even knowing how to turn the camera (The controls are tricky, ok..?)
Since I didn't have anything interesting to create, I decided to try making a human head. Tricky enough to make me push on and keep learning, but not too otherworldly difficult for a day 1 test.
I'd say I'm making some progress for only 4 hours of tinkering with it so far:

Clipboard01.png

Clipboard02.png

Btw, I only have a mouse to work with, so it's a lot harder than quick swipes on a Tablet would be.

Edit~
Did a bit more refining, doesn't look AS derpy now. Kinda looks more like a human.

Clipboard03.png

Please do keep in mind that this is my first attempt at anything like this. Ever. Criticism would be appreciated by anyone who wishes to give it. Personally, I'm surprised at even getting this much roughed out on day 1.

Last edited:
Back