Game development

Well, from just loading up the program for the first time today, and not even knowing how to turn the camera (The controls are tricky, ok..?)
I'd say I'm making some progress for only 4 hours of tinkering with it so far:

View attachment 144668

Model Image here:
carrie.jpg

You can use a tool called "makehuman" for making people/humanoids, thee. It's an older tool that actually started out as a plugin for Blender.

You can use a tool called "makehuman" for making people/humanoids, thee. It's an older tool that actually started out as a plugin for Blender.
I could, but then I wouldn't be learning as much as I would by creating one from scratch. If I feel this gets too difficult, I'll try out MakeHuman.

Well, from just loading up the program for the first time today, and not even knowing how to turn the camera (The controls are tricky, ok..?)
Since I didn't have anything interesting to create, I decided to try making a human head. Tricky enough to make me push on and keep learning, but not too otherworldly difficult for a day 1 test.
I'd say I'm making some progress for only 4 hours of tinkering with it so far:

View attachment 144668
View attachment 144669

Btw, I only have a mouse to work with, so it's a lot harder than quick swipes on a Tablet would be.

Edit~
Did a bit more refining, doesn't look AS derpy now. Kinda looks more like a human.

View attachment 144671

Please do keep in mind that this is my first attempt at anything like this. Ever. Criticism would be appreciated by anyone who wishes to give it. Personally, I'm surprised at even getting this much roughed out on day 1.
You're doing pretty amazing so far!
And I agree, the controls are insane and hard to get a hold of.

Welp, it's official. Ears are by far the hardest part of the human head to sculpt.

Clipboard01.png

Clipboard02.png

Clipboard03.png

It makes me die a little inside to know that these ears took me 2 hours and I'm not fully satisfied with how they came out ;(

In a total of 11 hours and 19 minutes, this is what I was able to get out for my "Resume" on this thread.
Once I get better I'll be able to work much faster, but that's all of the basic elements of the human head completed in the first day.

Last edited:
Well, now this is getting tough. I have literally no knowledge of most of the human muscle structure...

Anyways, I rotated, resized, and touched up on the ears a bit.
Now I'm trying to shape out a good neck for this head and I'm not sure what adjustments to do to make it look right. :confused: (Aside from adding the collarbone, which I'm still tinkering with)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Clipboard04.png

Clipboard05.png

Clipboard06.png

EDIT~

When in doubt, go overboard with your strokes! (You can always adjust it later! :D)

Clipboard07.png

Clipboard08.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A little more refinement, still no clue what I'm doing :D

Clipboard09.png

I could always stop here, shove a big stick up it's torso from below, and call it a completed mannequin :rofl:

But I'll keep trudging forwards.

Last edited:
Well, now this is getting tough. I have literally no knowledge of most of the human muscle structure...

Anyways, I rotated, resized, and touched up on the ears a bit.
Now I'm trying to shape out a good neck for this head and I'm not sure what adjustments to do to make it look right. :confused: (Aside from adding the collarbone, which I'm still tinkering with)

Anyone have any suggestions?

View attachment 144675
View attachment 144676
View attachment 144677

EDIT~

When in doubt, go overboard with your strokes! (You can always adjust it later! :D)

View attachment 144679
View attachment 144680

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A little more refinement, still no clue what I'm doing :D

View attachment 144681

I could always stop here, shove a big stick up it's torso from below, and call it a completed mannequin :rofl:

But I'll keep trudging forwards.
If I gave you a side view head shot of a character, think you'd want to try and make it in Zbrush? No pressure, just as a challenge for you for a more non-human look. It'll give you more creative freedom.

If I gave you a side view head shot of a character, think you'd want to try and make it in Zbrush? No pressure, just as a challenge for you for a more non-human look. It'll give you more creative freedom.
I would like that, but only a side view would be kinda tricky as I would need to know what the front looks like as well to get the full details.

Last edited:
I would like that, but only a side view would be kinda tricky as I would need to know what the front looks like as well to get the full details.
I'm not too bothered about the looks, it's very open to interpretation. Really it's an exercise for you if you're interested.
I can't really draw now-a-days anyway.
274736_8885527c26e3e4ec88ea602dd51f02c4.png

Go wild, seriously. It's an alien so no bars held c:

I'll attach an updated pic when I can.

Clipboard10.png

Clipboard11.png

No real detail yet, was just sculpting out the main figure with the couple of hours I had available last night.

EDIT~
The amount of layers on this head is making this tricky, but it's a fun experience so far.

Front
base2.png

Side
base1.png
View attachment 144685

Rear
base3.png

Not much to see yet, but here's proof I am working on it atm.

Last edited:
I apologize in advance that this isn't following the original design 100%, but my god it's hard to make some of these details exactly like the reference picture. I'm doing the best I can with limited knowledge though, so... :confused:

View attachment 144694
View attachment 144695

I'll probably reduce the size of the spiky scales once I get them layered out properly, but for now, larger was easier.

Edit (Another one, who'da thought...)~

Clipboard03.png

Clipboard04.png

It's starting to look more like a horror monster rather than a friendly, cutesy alien...
I'm not very good at this I guess.

EDIT2~

Got some constructive criticism from my sister, and touched up the face to look a bit closer to how it should. Head shape, nose, and spike roundness and size..
Clipboard06.png

Clipboard07.png

[collapse]
FWPS3tU.png
[/collapse]

Last edited:
Since we're dealing with games, super-high resolution meshes might become a problem for you. I'm not sure how ZBrush does it, but with blender you can "bake" the normals of a high resolution mesh into a normal map for a lower resolution mesh.

So I was thinking to myself yesterday "Maybe if I can find an idea that seems simple enough, I can make a nice starter game to learn the ropes of game development." Then, I had a nice idea based off of games such as Rust and The Forest (for crafting engine), Rebuild (City Development/Zombie/Random Event and multiple endings), and a little flare that I hope is of my own design.

[collapse=Plot So Far]
You are a lone survivor (A small group if multiplayer is implemented) who has been wandering around for some time in this infected wasteland. In your travels, you have learned a thing or two about survival. Two weeks ago, you have discovered a small town in the middle of an otherwise deserted plain. You go in, hoping for trade. After walking in, you discover that the city is in shambles; their leader died while scavenging for supplies, and their walls are in extremely poor condition, allowing breaches to happen and to allow the infected to kill of their doctor. If that wasn't enough, local thugs who live somewhere outside the walls continue to tax and/or pillage the town, depending on their mood. This tends to keep merchants away from the town, crippling their food supplies. You decide to stay and help them as long as they feed you and keep you safe.

Today, you had just finished helping them establish order, fortifying their walls and helping them with their wounded. The people have seen you as a savior, and have decided to make you their leader(s), seeing as without you they will perish anyways. You decided to accept, as you know that you can save the lives of all of these people if you try hard enough. But will you really lead them to becoming a haven, or will power turn you into a tyrant? [/collapse]
[collapse=Gameplay]
You start off with either a 100 x 100, 200 x 200, or 300 x 300 square foot plot of land that is fortified. Within this, you have 2 20 x 20 ft.^ houses that hold 5 people, a storage house that is 20 x 30 ft.^, and a watchtower that is 10 x 10 ft.^. (^=measurements subject to change: may get more buildings if in a larger town) You are in First Person, and can roan within the walls as you wish. You may venture outside of the walls as long as you stay within 25 feet of the wall or 100 feet of the watchtower (can be upgraded). As leader(s), you must make decisions to keep your people alive and help expand the city, such as send scavengers out for food, distribute rations (less rations=unhappy residents=possible riots in larger towns), and help manage building and trap construction. You can plan construction without the materials, but you cannot begin construction without the materials required.

Sometimes, a random event will happen based on the happiness of your people, size of town, number of undead, gang influence, and more. Sometimes it's good, like a trading caravan or lost survivors (who may be infected or gang spies).Other times it's very bad, like a gang attack or murder. As leader(s), you must decide what to do in these situations, with different possible outcomes (in multiplayer, decisions come to a majority rule vote). Your decisions shape the fate of your town.

While outside the walls, you may preform skill tasks for resources, such as kill zombies for their loot or to lower their numbers, chop trees, mine stone, and search abandoned buildings (You may start in a abandoned plain, but you can stretch out to nearby forests and even maybe a town or two).[/collapse]
[collapse=Undead Influence]
The Infected roam outside of the walls. They appear both day and night, but only attack if certain checks come into play. There are four checks that determine whether or not the Infected attack and how many will attack:

1. Light: This is the amount of illumination your town gives off. This increases with every light source your town has (Buildings generate light, and you can make lanterns and lamp posts to help see, but increase your light) The more light you have, the higher your risk of attack and numbers (This only counts towards risk and numbers during the night)

2. Noise: This is how much noise your town has made since the last attack or the noise your town constantly makes. This increases with constant use of guns that aren't silenced, bomb usage, sabotage (Usually in the form of firecrackers), Festivals, and generators. Each gunshot/blast has a chance of attracting undead, and they add to the number of Infected you will face in an attack. Constant Noise is more like light checks, but happen anytime the noise is present, even during the day.

3. Population: Larger populations mean more Infected. This is due to the scent of fresh meat, undead following your scavengers, and the everyday talking that is not accounted for in the Noise section.

4. Turned: This is based on the amount of people, whether they be your people, gang members, or wandering survivors who died outside the walls. If they didn't get a bullet in their head, they have a 50-75% chance to get back up, increasing risk. This can be lowered with research. Also, The more undead means riskier scavenge missions and survivor recruitments.[/collapse]
[collapse=Buildings and Traps]

Buildings must be built over the course of several days, whereas traps only take a few hours at most. Here is a list of Buildings and Traps I have so far:

Buildings

House: Basic Living area, Houses 5 people.

Boarding House: Large temporary home, houses 20 people.

Tavern/Inn: Place for passersby to stay, houses 10 people (travelers may settle if they like the place or give supplies as a token of gratitude, or be spies of gangs or possible infected)

Watchtower: Increases map sight, increases roaming range

Guardtower: Gives less sight than a watchtower, but can protect better in an attack and be set to attack regularly anyways.

Services: Hospitals, Police, Merchants, ect.

Laboratory: Allows research of Infected and buildings/traps.

There will be more and maybe I will post traps here also, but it's long enough as-is.[/collapse]
I have many other ideas, such as upgrading buildings, endings, multiplayer enabling, and more. I would like some input on these ideas. I apologize for it being so long, but I had many ideas. If you like this, feel free to add your own ideas. I don't know if I can, but I thought about making this on the Unreal Engine 4 if I can. If anyone has experience with this that they would be willing to share, I would be very thankful. Also, if I get a start on working on this (which will be in the summer if I do), I will be accepting if anyone wishes to join in and help me.

Last edited:
sabotage (Usually in the form of firecrackers)
How does this work? Firecrackers generally do zero damage to their surroundings. Unless by 'sabotage' you mean attracting infected to a particular area...

For construction, how long in real time would things take?

How does this work? Firecrackers generally do zero damage to their surroundings. Unless by 'sabotage' you mean attracting infected to a particular area...

For construction, how long in real time would things take?
Yes, I mean that by sabotage. They are cheap, easy to conceal, and can be planted anywhere in town for results, so it's a nice little thing for an enemy of your town.

And I haven't decided yet. I think I will go with a 24-minute day cycle, so let's say they would range from 2 days for houses-4 days (48-96 minutes, to save the math) for larger structures, and can get as high as 10 days (240 minutes) if upgrading to highest tier (I think tiering system would go wood structure->stone structure->scrap metal structure->refined metal structure. (I haven't gotten the tiering system thought up well yet, so I can see if this is flawed in logic)

Also, I plan on implementing a wait feature, where you can skip ahead hours in gametime to speed things up. However, this wait is interrupted if an event or attack happens while waiting.

EDIT: I may switch to a 12-minute day system if the 24-minute is giving me problems, but I think a 24-day with wait should do good, since you could wait out all of your time that no events are happening on.

Last edited:
Since we're dealing with games, super-high resolution meshes might become a problem for you. I'm not sure how ZBrush does it, but with blender you can "bake" the normals of a high resolution mesh into a normal map for a lower resolution mesh.

Yep, i have both programs for that reason. Zbrush for making the models and getting the fine details right, then Blender for lowering the polys and rigging for animation.

But right now I have no reason to do that since the stuff I'm making has no intention of being used. It's all just practice stuff until someone decides they want to contract me for making models for their game idea (probably won't happen).

Last edited:
Back