OUYA going to give Microsoft and Sony a run for their money

But does your phone have Ethernet and built in full size HDMI? Does it comes with an awesome touchpad/controller? Is your phone optimized for the games it plays?
Tegra3 2 quadDual-core processor
1GB RAM
8GB of internal flash storage
HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth LE 4.0
USB 2.0 (onethree)
Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
Android 4.0 Ginger Bread
ETHERNET! (Announced by Muffi 7/18)

But does your phone have Ethernet
it can, but that's extra
Does it comes with an awesome touchpad/controller?
Yes
and built in full size HDMI?
Yes and No
Is your phone optimized for the games it plays?
No

Tegra3 2 quadDual-core processor
1GB RAM
8GB of internal flash storage
HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth LE 4.0
USB 2.0 (onethree)
Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
Android 4.0 Ginger Bread
ETHERNET! (Announced by Muffi 7/18)

But does your phone have Ethernet
it can, but that's extra
Does it comes with an awesome touchpad/controller?
Yes
and built in full size HDMI?
Yes and No
Is your phone optimized for the games it plays?
No

Dual Core instead of Quad.
Your phone has 3 USB 2.0 connections?
When I said touchpad/controller I mean the OUYA one which is a controller with a touchpad on it.
Your phone can have ethernet?
Doesn't have HDMI support out the box.
Isn't optimized for games.
Runs a 2 year old version of Android.
Cost more than $99.

OUYA comes close to phone stats, more like Tablet stats to me. Still cost less.

When I said touchpad/controller I mean the OUYA one which is a controller with a touchpad on it.
Cost more than $99.

What are you trying to accomplish by comparing a "console" to a phone. The console doesn't have a phone antenna nor a GPS nor it's own screen, and it isn't as mobile as a phone. You can't just put one into your pocket and use it on the go. It doesn't need these things you mention the same way a phone doesn't neccesarily need HDMI support or a controller to go with it. OUYA can't replace a phone or a tablet device.

Cost more than $99.

and?

in its charging dock, yes

in its media dock, yes

in the lapdock, yes

no, it does

incorrect

update for ice-cream sandwich is coming in September

Cost more than $99.
yes

also

What are you trying to accomplish by comparing a "console" to a phone. The console doesn't have a phone antenna nor a GPS nor it's own screen, and it isn't as mobile as a phone. You can't just put one into your pocket and use it on the go. It doesn't need these things you mention the same way a phone doesn't neccesarily need HDMI support or a controller to go with it. OUYA can't replace a phone or a tablet device.
this ^

you trying to compare to things that cant be compared fairly.

sort of like comparing two different model of cpu by processing speed.

No shit sherlock. Everyone here seems to be putting the OUYA down because they feel as though their phone can do a better job, when it can't.

Also, all the things you mentioned? Not having GPS, phone capability, etc. That all can be added. Putting it in your pocket and using it on the go? I'm sure a battery pack mod will be made as well as an LCD mod.

What part of "you can crack OUYA wide open" don't you understand. The board will have plenty of points and we will have hardware level access out of the gate.

No shit sherlock. Everyone here seems to be putting the OUYA down because they feel as though their phone can do a better job, when it can't.

Also, all the things you mentioned? Not having GPS, phone capability, etc. That all can be added. Putting it in your pocket and using it on the go? I'm sure a battery pack mod will be made as well as an LCD mod.

What part of "you can crack OUYA wide open" don't you understand. The board will have plenty of points and we will have hardware level access out of the gate.
who is putting the device down?

im not.

im just saying that the specs didn't sound that good.

who is putting the device down?

im not.

It's stats are better than 80% of phones in the market currently. Anything from Early 2012 and newer are it's only competitors and yet still aren't as awesome since you can't open those babies up like this.

Speaking of portability. Just found this article on IGN that quotes one of the designers of the console saying the machine will be "about the size of a Rubik's cube," which is about 2 inches on each side. This is MUCH smaller than I had assumed a game console would be, but makes sense since a lot of the components are normally put into compact devices like phones and tablets.

Speaking of portability. Just found this article on IGN that quotes one of the designers of the console saying the machine will be "about the size of a Rubik's cube," which is about 2 inches on each side. This is MUCH smaller than I had assumed a game console would be, but makes sense since a lot of the components are normally put into compact devices like phones and tablets.
You can see where he says that in the comments of this Kotaku Article, where he has been answering questions about OUYA.

Also, with the console being that small, I can't wait to see some good portable console mods for it!

The specs don't have to be good, this console is to see what the community can do with an open source, completely hackable console. The specs don't have to be crazy good.

WAY smaller, I thought this was like the size of a Gamecube

If I ever buy that, I'm gonna loose it in a week :/

Reading around, there's so many people scared that it's a scam. I'm willing to bet that it isn't, but even if it is, there's going to be 45,000 angry gamers asking them for refunds.

Oh. That's interesting.

One day I wish microsoft would release all the Halo games for PC. They probably will when they collapse in on themselves (They reported their first net loss ever. Which either means that people are giving up on them or they're working on something new and spending lots of money on it.)
I'm going to assume the latter, since microsoft now has over 50% of the personal computer market.

OnLive just signed a deal with Ouya to be on the console at launch in March. This bascially grants access to hundreds of games to everyone, so long as they get an OnLive subscription. Here are the details. That link also has pics of the design of console and controller, so far. They are subject to change. I've attached them below for you lazy clickers:

image-141147-full.jpg

image-141148-full.jpg

OnLive just signed a deal with Ouya to be on the console at launch in March. This bascially grants access to hundreds of games to everyone, so long as they get an OnLive subscription. Here are the details. That link also has pics of the design of console and controller, so far. They are subject to change. I've attached them below for you lazy clickers:

image-141147-full.jpg

image-141148-full.jpg
And I live in Australia... :/

Another Update:

Square has announced they will release Final Fantasy III on the Ouya when it is launched March. Square also said they will "provide more content in the future." This is the updated version of FFIII that was released for the DS in 2006, and was recently launched for Android.

I'm thinking I'm about one or two more awesome announcements and I'm going to pre-order my own console, if that's even still possible.

Back