OUYA going to give Microsoft and Sony a run for their money

Is it just me or is all this stuff happening with Ouya just too good to be true and we are all in some gaming dream where everything is perfect?

Uhhhgg. I just gave them $99 to reserve my Ouya. Now to think of a story to tell my wife...at least I have until March to think of something...

I really want this now. If only they had released everything at first launch I could have had time to gather funds.

I think it's gonna be a Nexus 7 then...

I think some of the support they have gotten has only come about because of how successful their kickstarter has been, and that's why it wasn't announced when the kickstarter first launched. I'm looking at this device in two ways:

-This is going to be a revolutionary step in the way consoles are manufactured and developed. With the ability (and even invitation by the manufacturer) to mod and upgrade your own console without concern of voiding a warranty or losing support from the manufacturer, users will finally get a closer PC experience in their games than they had before. There will be a growing and more prevalent demand from console gamers to have the ability to mod their console and games how they wish without repercussion.

-This is going to be a flop, and I've just invested in a piece of gaming history that I can keep for a decade or two and re-sell for more than $99, if I so choose.

Capture16.PNG

Capture17.PNG

I threw my credit card at this kickstarter, and took out a virtual eye. :3 I can't wait to try it!

I don't know why, but I think I just nerd-gasm'd.
Short of like Google voice/voip calls this thing won't be making phone calls. You can't just solder a cell radio onto the motherboard and call it good. It doesn't work like that. And to get hardware like that in another device you'd have to buy a Nexus 7 for $200... And that's smaller and comes with a screen and a battery.

This thing isn't built on phone hardware its built on tablet hardware which is larger, cheaper, and more power hungry.

I don't know why everyone is jizzing their pants over the hardware in this thing. By the time it comes out the hardware will be second rate at best.

That being said... Applying a console mindset to android is interesting. I might work well, it might not. One of the main reasons consoles can stay relevant for so long is they can optimize code for their specific hardware/os. What makes me nervous about trying to do this with Android is the way android runs everything in a virtual machine (aka the dalvik). They may not be able to bleed performance out of it the same way they can with the 360/ps3. But what do I know? I'm not exactly an sdk developer...

Somehow I don't see how $2 games designed for a cell phone are going to put even the slightest bit of pressure on the traditional consoles from Sony, Micro$oft, and Nintendo. Sure, it'll likely spark a lot of interest from developers, but I don't see much of a big land grab beyond the bigger game companies already entrenched in classic console titles (Square/Enix, etc.). While Android development is no doubt a lot cheaper to step into versus signing up with a license agreement, etc. with the big folks, I don't see there being a lot of money to be made. There'll likely be those one-off flukes akin to something like Minecraft that just mass metric ass-tons of moola, but I'd see those as far and few in-between.

I'll admit, the apps market is still growing, but there are constant stat reports showing that Android users, as a whole, generally buy a lot less thru the Play Market versus Apple's App Store. Not to mention piracy is rather rampant among Android applications as it's so easy to pull off. Not exactly the most inviting market if you're trying to lure developers over to your platform.

Somehow I don't see how $2 games designed for a cell phone are going to put even the slightest bit of pressure on the traditional consoles from Sony, Micro$oft, and Nintendo. Sure, it'll likely spark a lot of interest from developers, but I don't see much of a big land grab beyond the bigger game companies already entrenched in classic console titles (Square/Enix, etc.). While Android development is no doubt a lot cheaper to step into versus signing up with a license agreement, etc. with the big folks, I don't see there being a lot of money to be made. There'll likely be those one-off flukes akin to something like Minecraft that just mass metric ass-tons of moola, but I'd see those as far and few in-between.

I'll admit, the apps market is still growing, but there are constant stat reports showing that Android users, as a whole, generally buy a lot less thru the Play Market versus Apple's App Store. Not to mention piracy is rather rampant among Android applications as it's so easy to pull off. Not exactly the most inviting market if you're trying to lure developers over to your platform.
It's not even trying to compete with major consoles and it's not for exisitng touch-based games (which is the worst type of game manipulation ever), rather trying to make itself a new niche in the market. We're already seeing lot's of machines besides ouya coming out featuring Android as an operating system and actual physical controls for gaming. Like the Nvidia Shield. Hopefully if they don't start limiting their games to a single device we could see a bunch of new games coming up that can be shared between these various android gaming devices.

You need to realize, Ouya isn't just going to be a console that opens up the Google Play store and lets you get games from that. Games on Ouya are going to be specifically designed for it. That's why developers like it, they don't have to make a game that may or may not work like how it works for Android phones. They can specifically design it for a console. While of course the games are not going to be quite as high end as more expensive consoles, it still has good enough hardware to be high-end PS2 graphics.

Don't make the mistake of thinking this is just some medium for aquiring phone games on your TV, this is a console.

You need to realize, Ouya isn't just going to be a console that opens up the Google Play store and lets you get games from that. Games on Ouya are going to be specifically designed for it. That's why developers like it, they don't have to make a game that may or may not work like how it works for Android phones. They can specifically design it for a console. While of course the games are not going to be quite as high end as more expensive consoles, it still has good enough hardware to be high-end PS2 graphics.

Don't make the mistake of thinking this is just some medium for aquiring phone games on your TV, this is a console.
.....but it's ALSO a medium for acquiring phone games on your TV....plus all the other stuff.

Really not going to be that hard. You can already do it with your computer if you know how.

That's true, but will the OUYA have the processing power to be able to run high end games? From what I know about it, it runs of an android OS and it is able to be modified and I would assume that the default specifications wouldn't allow it to run games on the aforementioned consoles. In the end would it be feasible to upgrade hardware to be able to play the aforementioned games or would it be cheaper to by the console designated for the game title itself.

This is all just assumption on my part so don't take my word for it.

Back