OUYA going to give Microsoft and Sony a run for their money

That's true, but will the OUYA have the processing power to be able to run high end games? From what I know about it, it runs of an android OS and it is able to be modified and I would assume that the default specifications wouldn't allow it to run games on the aforementioned consoles. In the end would it be feasible to upgrade hardware to be able to play the aforementioned games or would it be cheaper to by the console designated for the game title itself.

This is all just assumption on my part so don't take my word for it.
I don't even care about the price of hardware to upgrade it to run anything and everything. I'm only planning to do it for 1) Because I can and 2) Nostalgia bro. Dude, I'm going to add a slot to play old NES games.

I don't even care about the price of hardware to upgrade it to run anything and everything. I'm only planning to do it for 1) Because I can and 2) Nostalgia bro. Dude, I'm going to add a slot to play old NES games.

I see, Nostalgia is a great reason to do so, I'm starting to regret not backing the kickstarter project.

Sooooooooo.....guess what just arrived today?
2013-07-08 20.55.39.jpg

I've turned mine on.. twice. Due to lack of time. First time, the menu kept crashing/jumping back to start, and the whole thing froze when trying to open a pinball game. Gave up. Second time this past weekend, they seemed to have updated the menu and I didn't have issue with that anymore, but any game I picked to download, just said "In queue" and never completed downloading. Apparently some people fix this problem by switching to Wireless and unplugging the network cord? I tried that. Didn't seem to do anything. Ran out of time and still didn't get to play.

So.. there's a bunch of fun looking games on there! Now if I could just get past all the bugs to actually PLAY them, I could give more opinion. :/

I've turned mine on.. twice. Due to lack of time. First time, the menu kept crashing/jumping back to start, and the whole thing froze when trying to open a pinball game. Gave up. Second time this past weekend, they seemed to have updated the menu and I didn't have issue with that anymore, but any game I picked to download, just said "In queue" and never completed downloading. Apparently some people fix this problem by switching to Wireless and unplugging the network cord? I tried that. Didn't seem to do anything. Ran out of time and still didn't get to play.

So.. there's a bunch of fun looking games on there! Now if I could just get past all the bugs to actually PLAY them, I could give more opinion. :/
:/ I don't know. I forgot one crucial part when I ordered my console: I don't own a tv.

Can you not plug it into your computer monitor? or is it VGA....
It's HDMI only. Which means, if you have no TV, you won't get any sound. Unless you happen to have an HDMI-in on your computer, or the thing I just posted a picture of above.

Mine is already dead after using it once. I don't have a TV with an HDMI port in my room, so I used the one in my dad's room and installed FF3. I didn't really play it as it was laggy and I had to go to work. When I took it over to my grandma's house about 2 weeks later it would not turn on at all. The blue light on top of the OUYA would never turn on and the fans would not start. I emailed their support and it took them a few days to link me to the RMA form. Now I have yet to hear anything after filling out the form. I guess they should hire some more customer support people.

I remember when I said a while back somewhere I cannot/am too lazy to find:
"... i wouldn't be surprised if it is filled with cotton and [some other thing] when you get it." (I believe I said it to Gurw)
I resent that statement.

Yeah, the OUYA does look okay. I'm not going to buy one because it has no composite port and converters are too expensive (btw, the converter is more expensive than the console itself). I wasn't really interested in the games which OUYA provides, but rather getting games that aren't made for it work through touch-mapper things (Joy2Touch or something). Sadly, the sideloading process is much more technical then just downloading an app and installing it like you would on stock Android, you have to use ADB to install a file manager onto it, download an app with the browser, install it through the file manager, then use another app to launch it. What is cool is that people have gotten ClockworkMod Recovery working on it, which means custom roms can be installed, not to mention that (from what I've heard) the device comes pre-rooted. On the opposite assumption, there are rumors that OUYA store or whatever is removed if you root (if it isn't already rooted), but that can be re-installed along even with Google Play (which cannot be used due to the controller, and every app's .apk can be found on the internet). It upsets me that if OUYA is meant to be hacked, sideloading apps should be just as easy to do on standard Android (flick a switch under Settings > Security and hit OK at a prompt and download to your heart's content). To sum it up, the main reason why I want an OUYA but can't have one is because no TV I can use in my house has an HDMI input, and (this is only pertaining why I want one, not why I can't) because it is easily hackable. Why I don't want an OUYA is because the many things that can be improved on the system. Since OUYA was made to be hacked, why doesn't the interface even support being able to launch apps installed through adb and the like without an alternative app-viewer thing? Not to mention the interface itself isn't the best, it could be fixed. Maybe once they fix these things, I may be able to use a tv with a HDMI port. In the meantime, I could stare at the interface through the launcher and framework (which, to those that are interested, are in the ODK) on my Galaxy S4 (i'd root that and install a custom rom if it didn't void the warranty) , since it is glitchy and crashes back to home (not OUYA home, but my phone's homescreen) at every action. With that, I digress my rant.

I remember when I said a while back somewhere I cannot/am too lazy to find:
"... i wouldn't be surprised if it is filled with cotton and [some other thing] when you get it." (I believe I said it to Gurw)
I resent that statement.

Yeah, the OUYA does look okay. I'm not going to buy one because it has no composite port and converters are too expensive (btw, the converter is more expensive than the console itself). I wasn't really interested in the games which OUYA provides, but rather getting games that aren't made for it work through touch-mapper things (Joy2Touch or something). Sadly, the sideloading process is much more technical then just downloading an app and installing it like you would on stock Android, you have to use ADB to install a file manager onto it, download an app with the browser, install it through the file manager, then use another app to launch it. What is cool is that people have gotten ClockworkMod Recovery working on it, which means custom roms can be installed, not to mention that (from what I've heard) the device comes pre-rooted. On the opposite assumption, there are rumors that OUYA store or whatever is removed if you root (if it isn't already rooted), but that can be re-installed along even with Google Play (which cannot be used due to the controller, and every app's .apk can be found on the internet). It upsets me that if OUYA is meant to be hacked, sideloading apps should be just as easy to do on standard Android (flick a switch under Settings > Security and hit OK at a prompt and download to your heart's content). To sum it up, the main reason why I want an OUYA but can't have one is because no TV I can use in my house has an HDMI input, and (this is only pertaining why I want one, not why I can't) because it is easily hackable. Why I don't want an OUYA is because the many things that can be improved on the system. Since OUYA was made to be hacked, why doesn't the interface even support being able to launch apps installed through adb and the like without an alternative app-viewer thing? Not to mention the interface itself isn't the best, it could be fixed. Maybe once they fix these things, I may be able to use a tv with a HDMI port. In the meantime, I could stare at the interface through the launcher and framework (which, to those that are interested, are in the ODK) on my Galaxy S4 (i'd root that and install a custom rom if it didn't void the warranty) , since it is glitchy and crashes back to home (not OUYA home, but my phone's homescreen) at every action. With that, I digress my rant.
The reason to buy an OUYA over loading things to your android phone is, the OUYA has fans and vents so it's hardware can work to it's full extent. The Galaxy S4 may have amazing specs, but it is compact, and has no vents/fans. Also so batteries have some lifespan longer than 10 minutes they also limit the hardware so it doesn't drain the battery. So really any higher hardware intensive games you may plan to load on your phone could run much more smoothly on your phone, you also don't have to worry about losing a warrenty.

Fucking Thread Revive..
I over heard that since GTA Vice City came to the Amazon app store you can buy it and play on the OUYA.

Well the recently announced Sony Playstation Vita TV certainly looks to be a lot more promising as a cheap living room machine. So much for Sony getting a run for their money.

Well the recently announced Sony Playstation Vita TV certainly looks to be a lot more promising as a cheap living room machine. So much for Sony getting a run for their money.
It looks as useful as an xbox that's designed as a home entertainment system instead of a gaming machine.

Back